1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVDS30/TRV16/Memory stick

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Robstro, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am looking to buy a camcorder and I have decided to get either the Panasonic NVDS30 or the Sony TRV16/18. Firstly, the difference between the TRV16 and 18: Is it only the ability to use Memory Sticks? If so, what is the benefit of Memory Stick over conventional DV tapes? And what sort of recording time would you get on a 128meg Memory Stick?

Secondly, does anyone know of cheap places to buy digital camcorders, I have been looking around online and Amazon.co.uk seems quite cheap, as does RGB Direct. Any other suggestions? I am in the UK by the way, and most American sites refuse to ship over here :(

Thanks for any help

Robbie

2. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again. Sorry about this, but I have a few more questions:

For the Panasonic NSDV30, do I use "Mini DV" tapes like these ones here: http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=144N
    And I presume that they are re-recordable?

And the only place I can find information about the battery the NSDV30 uses is on Amazon.co.uk. It says it is supplied with a "Lithium battery pack (800 mAh)". Where can I buy a spare? (Any search I try, comes up with hundreds of different types/sizes/makes of "Lithium batteries" and I have no idea which to get. Also, a seperate charger would be nice, any ideas?

Thanks again
    Robbie

3. edsm

edsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking into these models and deceided to get a sony. First off all because of the better lens->better videos.
    The memory stick makes that you can save still images and footage as MPEG. That's the only difference. I'll think I'll go for the 16.
    I found the cheapest at the moment by www.ajelectronics.co.uk for 409. For 70 more you have the 18. If you find it any cheaper let me know!
    Hope this helps. ed.
    ps. Watch out with american products because they have a different speed!

4. Oldskool

Oldskool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I have decided to get the Panasonic NSDV30 from Letsgodigital. I am also looking for a spare battery and of course tapes.

The DV Tapes advertised on Letsgodigital's Accessories page at the top. Are those what I need for the NSDV30?

And where do I find spare batteries?

7. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am wanting to order the camera with tapes tomorrow, so could someone reply quickly please :D

What storage medium do I need for the Panasonic NSDV30? Is it DV Tapes as advertised on Letsgodigital.co.uk or MiniDV Tapes from somewhere else?

Help quickly! :)

Thanks.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Might be too late, but...

If you phone up Letsgodigital you can order by phone and I am sure they will give you all the advice you need. ;)

9. kandinsky

kandinsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Look here for batteries http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vpanasonic.html

I got 2 ds30 1700mA batteries for £47-00 inc P+P.
    Very customs friendly, marked up as $20-00 and delivered by DHL.

Also 7dayshop are selling 3 panasonic DV tapes(1 hour) for around £9-00.

:cool: