1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NV-GS17 - can't find USB Drivers

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by MrMeikel, Aug 28, 2005.

1. MrMeikel

MrMeikel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I recently bought a NV-GS17 from a shop in France, I come home and proceed to unpackage the camera but find no CD has been included in the Box.

I've been looking around on the internet, but I can't seem to find any drivers for my camera, can anyone here help me at all? The camera uses the mini-tapes if that makes a difference.

Many Thanks
    Mr Meikel

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    What do you want to do with the cam connected to your PC via USB?
    If you want to capture & edit the video then forget USB as it is not up to the transfer rates required for full quality video. Instead get yourself a firewire card (if not already installed on the PC) and cable. This is the only connection that can be used to get the best possible PQ from captured video!
    USB will give you PQ little better than that from a webcam or the ability to transfer still images off the cam - so basically IMO is a waiste of time.

Mark.

3. MrMeikel

MrMeikel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, thanks for your swift reply

I have captured videos using the camera, and now wish to transfer them to my computer using the USB cable, is this possible? There is also a DV-port on the camera, will I have to use this to transfer to the computer?

so this is not live-feed data

many thanks

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As I said in my first post, USB is just not good enough to transfer video at full quality. You will get lower quality pictures with probable dropped frames which will make fast movement jerky :mad:
    Firewire aka iLink, ieee1394, DV-port (all the same just different names to make our life easier :nono: ) is the only way to go. A firewire card that includes the required cable to connect to the cam should cost you under £20, so not too expensive and very easy to add to the PC. The difference in quality with this connection compared to USB will IMO be massive.

Mark.

5. MrMeikel

MrMeikel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh i see

luckily i already have a firewire port in my computer. what is the name of the cable needed for the firewire port? my camera has a "DV" port, so does it connect to this?

also, will i need any additional drivers? or will "capture" from a video editing program work?

thanks again

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    To connect your camcorders DV port to the firewire port on the PC you will need a 6 pin (PC end) to 4 pin (cam end) firewire cable. If your PC was a laptop the the chances are you would need a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. The difference as far as you are concerned here is just the different size of the sockets.

All versions of Windows since Windows 98se have included all the required drivers for useing firewire devices. Just plug the cam in and Windows will detect it and use its own drivers. Any editing software will then pick up the connected camcorder and allow you to capture the video from it.

Mark.

7. MrMeikel

MrMeikel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice

many thanks for your swift replies, i will order one of those cables right now!

Thanks again,
    Mr Meikel

edit:

would you suggest buying the best 6/4 firewire cable that i can? i see ones here for only 0.99p ebuyer cable

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I would suggest you steer clear of the very cheap & nasty cables, but don't spend a fortune on a branded cable either as you will get no benefit - you should get a perfectly good cable for under £10. Keep the cable to a maximum length of 1.8m as over this you can get problems with it.

Mark.

9. Ellias321

Ellias321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Download the latest version of Microsoft's DirectX...its DirectX 9. whatever. Using a firewire cable and Windows Live Movie Maker it works like a dream. Im using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. PM me if you have any questions.

This is to import video you have recorded onto a miniDV tape. It doesn't allow the camcorder to be used as a webcam. Still working on that one.

This solution should apply not only to the Panasonic NV-GS17 but other similar models as well.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Nice offer, but as the thread dates back just shy of 5 years and the OP is no longer a member of the forum I doubt you will get too many PM's :D

But welcome to the forum anyway :hiya:

Mark.