1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurse! The screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MrSafety, Jun 11, 2003.

1. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've moved house, settled in and now the fun of creating my very own dedicated home cinema room has begun!
    I'm currently fixated on the screen and have managed to cobble together a home-made frame as per many of the links on this forum with the intention of stretching backout cloth across it. However, I am (cunningly/stupidly/insert adjective of choice here) doing this in stages as follows:

1. Build and mount screen frame on magnolia-painted wall.
    Done and BOY does this make a difference. And you read me right - all I have done is go from projecting onto a plain magnolia-painted wall (it's a new house) to projecting onto the same wall but with a wooden border to frame the picture. I made the frame out of 32 wide architrave left over from the building of the house - it's a light-oak covered MDF-type thing and all the skirting, architrave and doors in the house are made from it. It looks quite classy and certainly goes in the room. So it's not black but it just makes a world of difference. I'm prepared to believe it's all in the mind since it makes you feel as if you're at the movies more, or maybe it's because it makes the room feel more like a room dedicated to watching movies as opposed to just an empty room you haven't got round to doing anything with yet; or maybe it stops your eyes wandering away from the picture and keeps them inside the frame so to speak; or maybe it is just pride as having something of my own construction up on the wall! Whatever it is, there's no going back now.

2. Paint wall screened by said frame in Ice Storm 5.
    I've read the threads and shied away from making a 50/50 mix of 5 and 6 just because I can't be a##ed really - I'm not expecting to be blown away by the difference to be honest but, I'll give it a go, as it might be better and I'd like to see for myself. The reason I'm not expecting to be blown away by this is because I don't WANT to be blown away because I love my new screen frame and I want to ...

3 Put blackout material across it and use that.
    I've read in threads that it is pointless to compare grey and white screen surfaces together since it kind of defeats the object of the exercise what with contrast differences, etc so I'm going to try and be objective about it watching the same 2-3 movies on each screen configuration to determine what I prefer. If option (2) still lingers in my memory after the blackout lining is up then I will fall through to option 4 which is ...

4. Painting the blackout screen with Ice Storm 5.
    The ultimate combination? We'll see.

Anyway, you just knew there was a question coming didn't you? Well, here it is:

I have an Avia dvd sitting on my shelf waiting to be used and at the moment all I have done is put my HS10 into cinema mode, attached the supplied filter and changed some of the normal menu options (contrast, black level, etc) as per many of the recommendations on this forum. Other than that it is running in bog-standard mode, connected by S-video to a bog-standard DVD/all-in-one home cinema effort. And I have total light control in the room and currently hanging blackout linings over the windows to that the room is totally dark all the time.

Now, if I am going to be comparing different screen materials should I do these comparisons as is - ie., so that the PJ settings are the same for all materials - and then use Avia when I have settled on the best one? Or should I tweak the settings for each surface to get the best picture? But if I do this, won't the settings kind of cancel out the effects of the different materials? For example, if Ice Storm 5 gives me better black levels but doesn't wash my whites as white (so to speak) won' t I end up pushing the white levels with Avia to compensate and lose the better black in the process? In other words, if I can adjust the picture levels with Avia can't I compensate for any screen surface and therefore save myself all the above effort by just using whatever screen surface I prefer?

You know, when I started getting into this home cinema malarkey I said to myself "Look at all the people on forums like this! Isn't it sad that they take everything so seriously and try to extract every tiny bit of performance out of their kit, examine every little flaw and thing about what they have rather than just enjoying it for what it is?". And now I too am a saddo to whom my wife says "Can't we just watch the movie?" and my colleagues at work give me pitying looks.

Is there any medication for this ? Nurse! :suicide:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    "Now, Mr. Safety, Let's get you sorted out, you're bed is a mess, tidy up those dvds on your locker, do as Matron says........ Nurse Probey, are you ready with Mr. Safety's medication ?.........."

I found Icestorm 5 too dark a surface - reduced light too much for my taste - I'd go for the mix..... HS10 considerably brighter than AE100, Ice5 might go OK - only your own experiments will tell the difference.

If you're going to make a decision based on comparing blackout to IcestormX, I'd recommend that you make the investment in time terms to calibrate the PJ for each surface - it's the only way you'll be able to tell which will look it's best. You're eventually going to calibrate the thing, anyway......... and if you weren't tweaking, well, where would all the fun be !!

Currently conducting experiments with silver paint - trying to find a matt mix to counteract hot-spotting, and every imperfection shows up like mad; if I get a suitable mix sorted, I'll be getting a pal to spray it for me. The silver does an incredible job on blacks and colours tho - now I know why the Greyhawk and Firehawk screens cost so much........ They don't call it the "silver screen" for nuthin'.....

Have fun, come back and tell us how it goes........

Sean G.

3. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I think I've fiddled enough (for now)

I'm going with the blackout material on my screen, unpainted. I found the Icestorm too grey for my tastes and, tweak with Avia as I might, I couldn't shake the impression that all skintones still had a greyish pallor to them.

As a pointer to anyone else coming to the "what screen" quandry I would like to thank everyone on this forum who has posted their views on Icestorm, blackout material, silver, etc etc as it has all been incredibly useful... but (and it's been said before - by Kramer I think) the only way to choose is to try it for yourself and see what you prefer.