Numbers on bottom left of screen - Sky Sports

PaulBox

I think this might have been mentioned on here before, but I can't find anything using the search function. So sorry in advance!

Watching football on Sky Sports, I get about eight digits appearing in the bottom left of my screen.

Not sure if it's the numbers or other people asking what they are that is more annoying... But it is starting to get on my nerves a bit, especially when the TV channel also use that space to flash up stats on the game.

So, what are they? Why are they there? And can I get rid of them?

Cheers!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The official explanation is as follows:

As part of our Domestic Broadcast Security arrangements, a nine digit number may appear in the bottom left hand corner of screen for up to five minutes during live football broadcasts or sporting events. This is not related to your individual subscription and is generated automatically as part of the broadcast. It will not affect your viewing experience in any way

I suspect it actually relates to how much SKY are thinking of increasing the amount they charge Virgin for the rights to air?

dwarfofpoison

Standard Member
When I first got TiVo over two years ago I had Suggestions on, when they enabled 3 tuner recording I found out very quickly that if I wanted to ensure that I could watch something without the box suddenly switching channels. I'd have to record everything I watched, coming from a V+ I must admit this was abhorrent to me.

So when I started seeing posts about this number in the bottom left corner of the screen, I had no idea what people were writing about (across many forums) because I had never seen it.

Turns out this flimsy security measure is easily defeated if you watch the channel from a recording even at the live broadcast point, the number will never appear. If you haven't got a recording box I'm afraid you'll have to learn to live with it.

Last edited:

PaulBox

When I first got TiVo over two years ago I had Suggestions on, when they enabled 3 tuner recording I found out very quickly that if I wanted to ensure that I could watch something without the box suddenly switching channels. I'd have to record everything I watched, coming from a V+ I must admit this was abhorrent to me.

So when I started seeing posts about this number in the bottom left corner of the screen, I had no idea what people were writing about (across many forums) because I had never seen it.

Turns out this flimsy security measure is easily defeated if you watch the channel from a recording even at the live broadcast point, the number will never appear. If you haven't got a recording box I'm afraid you'll have to learn to live with it.
Tivo won't turn over the channel you are watching to record a suggestion.

The last bit is interesting though, will definitely have to try and remember to record/watch matches if it stops the number, cheers.

** Verve **

I've got this problem as well and find it extremely annoying. Had it on my old SA V+ box and now on my TiVO. The number only ever appears for me when watching Premiership football. My brother never had this issue when he subscribed to Sky Sports, so it doesn't appear to effect everyone.

Thanks for the tip re. recording/watching the event, will have to try it. Though the footy season is now over so will have to wait until August.

bamber1981

Sky's explanation is typically arrogant: surely it is up to the subscribers to say whether or not it affects their viewing experience?

I have read elsewhere that something similar appears on the screen on Sky's own satellite channels. I believe that the real purpose is to help them identify people who are redistributing their channels or keys illegally.

lee667

I believe it is to help combat pubs etc showing illegal streams

jspaceman

Novice Member
I have read elsewhere that something similar appears on the screen on Sky's own satellite channels.
I can vouch that it does, having seen it on my father's Sky recently. However Sky place the code on the top right of the screen above the Sky sports logo, which I found much less irritating. My recollection was that it was on for much less of the game than Virgin, but that could just have been because is much less obtrusive.

According to Virgin, this is condition of their contract with Sky, but they couldn't answer when I asked why they can't put in a better location, like the same place Sky put it.

As others have mentioned, I think its main purpose is to try and track down people streaming games over the web, although most of the internet streams I've seen have been US or Australian coverage, not UK.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom