Number plate supplier with no slogans

Keiron

My front number plate, which I've only had 7 months or so, is coming apart and needs replacing.

I want one that has absolutely nothing on it apart from the reg, No manufacturers or suppliers code, no BS number etc. (Some people suggest this is a legal requirement but it most definitely is NOT. https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/overview)

I notice a lot are really quite crumby these days. Can anyone recommend a quality supplier?

GaseousClay

Distinguished Member
I want one that has absolutely nothing on it apart from the reg, No manufacturers or suppliers code, no BS number etc. (Some people suggest this is a legal requirement but it most definitely is NOT. https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/overview)

From your own link:-

The British Standard for number plates
The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics
of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength
and reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each
number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with
the following information:

the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d);

the name, trade mark or other means of identification
of the manufacturer or component supplier; and

the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
"Blank" plates will get you pulled all the time, possibly with a fine and even seizing of your vehicle.

There are 2 main plate production types. Those that apply a printed film to the front of a pre-prepared plate and those that sandwich it between the reflective backing and the Perspex front. This second type is the one you want, as it lasts a lot longer.

Try Sandhurst Autoprint. They make superb plates and will make you blank "show" plates if you so wish.

Chrisfxz

I got pulled recently for my plates. All I got wad a 60quid fine however the officer told me he could have fined me 60quid each for font, spacing and lack of bs number and supplier coding. Not worth it

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I suppose this is to make fake plates more obvious.

marshy1

Also to tell if they are fake plates, where they were made so they can get the details from the supplier as they have to keep them for a few years

Thug

As already said it is a legal requirement to have the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d); the name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; and the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

Police are more bothered about misrepresented plates through spacing, font size/style or positioning of studs. I have even seen black tape on characters.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Pretty sure that the plates on my RS2000 don't have anything on them apart from the reg. They must be over 25 years old and have the correct old type font. Does this mean I'd have to change them for modern ones or risk being pulled?

Thug

Pretty sure that the plates on my RS2000 don't have anything on them apart from the reg. They must be over 25 years old and have the correct old type font. Does this mean I'd have to change them for modern ones or risk being pulled?

No, you should be fine.
Its newer ones that require then.
That's why I said police are more bothered about misrepresented ones or illegally spaced or incorrect fonts (like italics etc|.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I've been using 'blank' plates on both our cars for years now (over 10 years, easily)
I'm aware I'm technically breaking the law, I accept that.
We have legal font, size and spacing on both ends of the wife's car.
I have legal font and size on my car, but illegal spacing in that it is all lumped together in the middle so it spells my surname.
Neither of us have been pulled for our plates, anywhere in the UK, and it's never been an MOT issue either.
I'd take it on the chin if we were, I'm just saying it's by no means certain.
Perhaps people who get pulled all the time for this are doing other things to make the police twitchy.

Last edited:

p1tse

I know what you mean as I looked for this, but for what it's worth just get normal ones

I did have some made up from halfrauds,but water got in and broke down the layers in months
But halfords branding is in a lighter colour not black so not as noticeable

For those who have illegal fonts and spacing, it bugs me

Jules Winfield

I have legal font and size on my car, but illegal spacing in that it is all lumped together in the middle so it spells my surname.

Why do you do this? Not the breaking the law bit, but why do you feel the need to spell out your surname? Isn't it a bit narcissistic?

Whenever I see someone with a plate like that, I always think how sad the person is.

D

Deleted member 27989

My plates are legal pressed metal ones from dubmeister as bare as you are legally going to get.

Beobloke

But it doesn't does it? Unless you really do have some numbers in your surname, in which case I take it back. :rolleyes:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
But it doesn't does it? Unless you really do have some numbers in your surname, in which case I take it back. :rolleyes:

Despite having two digits in it, my numberplate does do a damned good job of spelling my surname.
Enough that it fools the eye into spelling my name to 99% of people, anyway.
No altering of digits either, no screws placed in daft positions etc.

I have a ready-made buyer for it too, should I ever get tired of it.
A cousin wants it badly.

One other thing I've found since getting my own plate is that my road behaviour has improved.
Before, hands up, I used to get involved in roadrage type incidents far more often.
The anonymity of a normal plate, I felt, gave me 'protection'.
Since getting a distinctive plate, I feel people are more likely to remember me = letting stuff go. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom