1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

number of hdmi /dvi interaces for "HD Ready"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chris43467, Aug 27, 2005.

1. chris43467

chris43467

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning for upgrading my TV, DVD etc for full HDTV capability, which will include sky HD and a next generation playstation or xbox as well as DVD and it is clear that HDMI is the preferred interface in order to maximise capabilities.

I am however confused by the fact that most HD Ready TVs have only 1 HDMI interface ( sometimes they do have a second DVI). However , if you want to connect up 2 or more sources which need to take advantage of HDCP (sky and presumably blueray or HD DVD in the future) ...how do you do it without switching cables?

Clearly in the short term... probably a couple of years, you can use one hdmi socket and run sky or a DVD player on component video with some loss of digital capability, but does anyone have any views as to how this get resolved longer term?

Is it just a matter of the manufacturers waiting till the time is right to add more HDMI sockets ?

Thanks for your insights

chris

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You'd use HDMI switching on your AV amp or buy a standalone HDMI switch. While TV's may start coming with multiple HDMI (or DVI-HDCP) inputs, my preferred method of connecting would still be to route everything to the amp as it will eliminate the need for seperate audio cables to the amp.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    There are some TVs out now in Japan and the US that have more than one HDMI conection. Samsung's DLP Rear projectors have 2, and Sony's 46" Qualia LCD also has 2 HDMI's.

The DVi conection you are talking about might in fact be DVI-I and not DVI-D.
    DVI-I is intended to be a conection for PCs (like VGA) and doesnt support HDCP the same way HDMI does.

Some slightly older plasmas and LCDs do in fact have DVI-D which is the same as HDMI. (with HDCP)
    And is interchangeable with HDMI.

If you want a TV with more than one HDMI/DVI-D conection you will have to wait another year or so.

You shouldnt HAVE to get a new amp just to allow for HDMI switching.
    It adds an extra cost that many dont want to have to pay just because TV makers are too stupid and/or lazy to put more than one conection.

Besides, once Blu Ray and HD DVD come out, you will need a new amp with the new sound codecs that Dolby and DTS are working on for Blu Ray and HD DVD.

To be fair, there are currently no products available that use HDMI. (besides upscaling DVD players) so there is no need for more than one conection at the time.
    Once the PS3 and Blu Ray/HD DVD come out you will see new models with more conections.

Remember that Sky is for Britain only and Japanese, Korean and American makers will not see that as the time to start adding more HDMI conections. They will add those conections when something international like Blu Ray happens.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    new toshiba 58 series out v.soon will have 2xHDMI on all models. That simple feature has it on my shortlist.

While bluray/PS3 might be a little while off, they are still very within the window of a new TV purchase - i.e A TV you purchase today will want to support those devices.

5. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The Pioneer pdp436xde comes with 2 HDMI inputs on its media box.
    Dave.

6. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    HDMI switchboxes are out there - and I'll need one as Sky+ HD and new DVD player have HDMI....lots of notes though (£200 plus)....

H

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello all

There are already Three types of HDMI switcher on the market from various manufacturers.

Gefen supply the following 2:1 options:

01. Digital Video Only switcher - UK SRP £176.25.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2208

02. Digital Video + Digital Audio switcher - UK SRP £246.75

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2590

03. Digital Video/Audio switcher - UK SRP TBC

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3055

Choose which device best meets your requirements.

Best regards

Joe

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Makes the slightly higher price of a pioneer justifiable if it saves £200 on a switcher.

Mind you, 2 HDMI wont be enough for a few people I guess, but look at the price of 4 way switches :eek:

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If we all just wait for a year we will see more TVs with more than one HDMI. These switchers shouldnt cost that much.
    There are some models available now with 2 HDMIs. Eventually they will come to the UK.
    Patience.

10. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV has a DVI-I socket and that supports HDCP.

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think the OP must have meant DVI-A (which is the analogue only DVI connector). DVI-I combines DVI-D digital with DVI-A analogue on the same connector. I believe the DVI-I digital video can carry HDCP just as on a DVI-D only connector.

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Yes it does, but I dont think its the same type of HDCP that HDMI supports.
    (ie will be needed for Blu Ray and HD DVD and is currently needed for upscaling DVD players that use HDMI)

There are many types of HDCP encryption. The type used by HDMI and DVI-D is unique to those 2 conections I think. And is designed for HD stuff.

DVI-I is designed for PC use and is similar to Analog VGA and should be interchangeable.
    DVI-I is what you find on LCD monitors and Video cards.

DVI-D is still rare in video cards and LCD Monitors.

LCD TVs on the other hand have DVI-I and DVI-D, or HDMI.

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    That isn't accurate - I think you are confusing DVI-I and DVI-A.

DVI-I as used on PCs for video output is two video outputs on a single connector. The large group of pins carries a DVI-D style digital video signal - which can be HDCP encrypted in the same way as DVI-D - the video is identical electronically to DVI-D

However DVI-I connectors also have analogue RGB video present on the flat cross-shaped connector - which allows the DVI-I output to also be simply converted with an adaptor to feed analogue VGA displays. This is the main difference between DVI-I and DVI-D - the DVI-D connector doesn't have this cross-shaped analogue video section.

This doesn't mean DVI-I is analogue only - as DVI-A is.

I think DVI-I is most common on video cards - where it serves as both an analogue and digital video output. (It is common for video cards to have a VGA analogue and a DVI-I output - allowing one analogue, one digital, or two analogue monitors to be connected)

I think that some LCD monitors have DVI-D only these days - as DVI-I inputs only benefit over DVI-D if you are feeding from a VGA analogue source via a converter?

14. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Complicated stuff. Hence HDMI!!

A single conection that is Digital. (does it accept analog?)

Ive been hearing that future video cards will also feature HDMI instead of DVI.

I assume monitors will follow the same path. Although these days many LCD TV's are basically the same as monitors.
    Its all about the resolution.

Sharps 45" GD2 (japan model) offers a DVI-I conection (as well as HDMI) which goes all the way up to 1280X1024 SXGA.

Thats a first for LCD TV's. (not to be confused with LCD monitors)

The best LCD monitors offer 1920X1200 at the moment. Some rare monitors offer higher resolution like 3000X2000 or somthing like that.

At the moment its still split in 2 ways. Some panels are designed to be better monitors while others better TV's.