Nuisance Calls

I keep receiving calls from indian call centres/some times english asking for a certain person who i have never heard of. It is always asking for the same person.

They have just rang now asking if it was my number which it is (i got it from sky). I told them to take the number off the system but they insist they can only do that if i give them my name which i obviously aint going to do and pointed out i can give him any random name and it wouldnt make a difference so what is the point, again he started blabbering on and then he put the phone down after spouting the call was recording etc etc.

Also, they rhymed out a postcode which is not even no where near my house so how can they have the right number but wrong postcode and name?

Is their anyway i can stop this, he said he was calling from choice2consumers or some rubbish

MIghtyG

Try registering with the telephone preference service, has helped me cut down on the number of calls I get a massive amount!

TPS

Bobdk

If the call is from overseas/India then the preference service will not apply. My daughter is gettin nuisance calls from India telling her she has a virus on her computer, a common scam at the moment, I told her to just hang up as there is little you can do to stop the *****.

Last edited by a moderator:

peebly

I found a solution to this, "caller ID". If the number is withheld or I don't know the number I don't answer the phone.

Duncan G

If the call is from overseas/India then the preference service will not apply. My daughter is gettin nuisance calls from India telling her she has a virus on her computer, a common scam at the moment, I told her to just hang up as there is little you can do to stop the *****.

Buy her a whistle or better still an air horn and keep it by the phone ready for the next call. :devil:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
We've been getting similar 'nuisance calls' - but from UK numbers... Originally it was 'Argos Financial Services' now a debt collection agency according to a google of the number. (Obviously someone has written down a number wrong and it's transposed to ours!)

Our Panasonic DECT phones have a 'Caller Barred' feature that has enabled us to no longer worry about that - or any similar caller - any more. (We do know they've called when we check the caller log, but the 'phone doesn't ring at all).

Obviously it can't work for 'withheld' numbers, but those can be screened via the answerphone (same unit) if needed.

gibbsy

For a while we were having calls from the US saying we had won a holiday in Florida. I used to put the phone down on them straight away but they were persistent. So the next time they called I asked them to explain. After several times telling them it was a poor line and could they repeat and then telling them I could not speak English but only Welsh they finished the conversation with the words 'I think you are making fun of me'.

Got that right. No calls since.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I never get these calls :( oooo the things I would say if I did :devil:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
they finished the conversation with the words 'I think you are making fun of me'.

Should have replied with "OMG Its Sherlock" or the classic "No **** Sherlock" :D

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
It's pointless getting into a conversation with scam telephone callers. What would you hope to achieve ?

Never said anything about having a convo, well not a 2 sided one anyway. Pretty sure they would hang up after oh say about 5 seconds :rotfl:

Nezben

Distinguished Member
I dont even turn my house phone on. Weirdly, i get no nuisance calls at all!

Lee

Hello, is that Mr Lee
Yes
Our records show that you've had a accident in the last 2 years
No
Sure?
Hold on let me think. Still no.
Any accidents before that.
Yes, fell off my bike 30 years ago.
Ring tone.

At least that one will now stop ringing. Currently having a run of calls from international and here for surveys, accidents, loan claims and all sorts of stuff.

Dread to think how many calls I'd get if I wasn't registered with the TPS.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom