Nubie advice for first av/speaker combo

bfly1234

Standard Member
Hi All,

Looking for a steer towards a good speaker set for my new Denon AVR-1507 from fleabay. It is my first foray into the world of home cinema and I am inevitably going to upgrade it once i am more familiar with the whole business so I have opted for a very cheap option. My problem now is what speakers to use for this unit? I don't want to spend any more than £100 for a new or used set but I would like something to symultaneously shake the seat of my pants and delight my eardrums but that is sensible to pair with this system. :)

Thanks,

Bfly

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Richer Sounds do a YAmaha speaker set for around your budget which is supposed to be good for the money. However, do not expect too much since your budget is pretty low. They will be better than the TV speakers but depending on what you mean be shake the seat of your pants and delight your eardrums you could be dissappointed.
Have you considered building the speakers slowly? So using your small budget to buy just the front pair of speakers to start and then buy the other speakers as funds allow. This will get you much better speakers to start and prevent you wasting £100 or so on speakers that you will want to upgrade sooner rather than later. Just because it is your first system does not mean you can not appreciate better speakers from the start.

bfly1234

Standard Member
Thanks PSM1,

I have now been given a panasonic sb afc80 speaker set by a generous friend but it has a passive subwoofer - quick questions:

are they crap but worth keeping to get me started?
They all look the same-is there a way to identify a centre speaker if there is one?
What should I sink the money into-a cheap active subwoofer like this one:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

or a new set with an active subwoofer like this one:

Pioneer SHS100 Compact 5.1 Speaker Set with Bookshelf Speakers in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Either way you are right, I will invest in stages stealthilly or i will get a kickin' :D

Thanks,

Bfly

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Chances are the speakers are low impedance so not suitable for an AV reciever. If they are under 4 ohms then they should not be used with your receiver as they could damage it due to the increased load they will put on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom