1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC worse than PAL

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by MartinK, Apr 16, 2002.

1. MartinK

MartinK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to the US soon and as the prices for miniDVs seems much lower there I was wondering if there is any difference in picture quality between PAL and NTSC. As far as I know, the UK models of some cameras have 800,000 pixel CCDs while their US equivalents have 680,000. To what extent is this a major drawback?

I'm running the camera through the computer and from there on to the TV.

Thanks,

Martin

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A number of people in the US use PAL camcorders. For two basic reasons:

1) 50Hz is more convewnient if you're contemplating going to film.

2) There is a perception that the quality is better. In part due to the higher resolution but also due to the reputed superiority of PAL colour encoding over NTSC

For what it's worth I was in a similar position and bought PAL in the UK. I checked prices out there and found they really weren't so much lower that the best deals here.

3. MartinK

MartinK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are the best UK deals to be found?

Martin

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are in London, walking up and down Tottenham Court Road playing one off against another is pretty good.
    Otherwise RGB, Krish or Hi-Fi Confidential.
    Otherwise, when you've made up your mind what you want, do a search on the net to find the lowest price, then if you don't fancy that supplier, find one which will price match.

Never pay what they ask. Always pay using Barclaycard for safety and post sale price matching and free extended warrenty.

Hope this helps.