1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ntsc W/s

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by paulMK, Jan 2, 2003.

1. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have several US NTSC consoles that I want to use.

I am using a 12 year old Sony 21" at the moment and have used all the various connections over the years composite, s-vhs, scart and RGB scart. All work fine, and all display in colour.

Now I want to get a 50Hz 28" or 32" widescreen.

I need at least 3 scarts, 2 must be RGB and I absolutely MUST have s-vhs.

I am thinking Sony again to be honest, what model would I be looking at? I have been to various shops in the last week, and have come away even more confused then ever.

I assume other brands feature NTSC, but I know some are not true NTSC if you know what I mean, and display in black and white.

Thanks

Paul

2. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You didn't mention what your budget was, so I don't know what to recommend yet.

If you're looking at Sony sets specifically, why stick to 50Hz. SONY 100Hz technology is the best out there - practically no digital nasties of any kind (as long as you keep all NR settings to OFF).

If you've read the many other posts on this forum, you'll know that Sony sets are by no means perfect, but their 100Hz processing can't be faulted.

As for S-video NTSC, one thing to note is that Sony sets (at least in the UK) are not enabled for pure NTSC from the S-video inputs originally. They are set in the factory to OFF for the Y/C (S-video) connections on inputs 3 & 4 (S-video Scart & Front/Side input, respectively). If you want to receive a pure NTSC signal (not a PAL 60 one) on S-video on sony sets, you have to tamper with the Service menu, and set the NTSC Y/C mode from 'Off' to 'On' for inputs 3 & 4.

An old dealer of mine told me they do this to 'enforce' regional zone issues on DVD's (i.e. so people can't use multi-region players on their sets, without buying an RGB-capable DVD player, say...one from SONY). This seems asinine as (a) You can still view R1 DVDs on the RGB inputs, and (b) are they kidding?? I know SONY is in the unique position of being both a hardware AND and software (Sony Pictures, Sony Music) manufacturer, so they have to feel they're doing something to circumvent piracy and enforce regional zoning (they are the pioneers of RCE on DVD's, as well as Copy Protection on CD's), but COME ON!. Disabling NTSC switching on S-video is just SILLY!!

Cheers

Moory

3. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Moory

Cheaper the better.

I will pay what I need to get what I need :)

I had hoped originally around £500, but I soon realised I would need to pay a lot more, so now I want to get a great picture and NTSC with loads of connections for the cheapest price.

To be honest I didn't really consider 100Hz.

I have a US Gamecube running through s-vhs using a pure NTSC signal and I never messed around with anything. Is this because it's an older Sony TV ?

Why don't these TV manufacturers just leave everything enabled and leave us to do the rest. It's annoying...

Cheers

Paul

4. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There Moory

Took your advise and looked at some 100hz sets.

I want 100hz now :~) I could see quite a difference between 50hz and 100hz, and I still say Sony has one of the best pictures.

Going to stay with Sony, either KV28LS60TNS or KV32LS60TNS. I just can't decide between 28" or 32". I don't need anything of a higher spec as these 2 sets have just what I need.

Does anyone know if John Lewis or Comet (the shop) will price match against the comet homepage as the prices their seem amazing. I am going to have a busy day tommorow going around all the shops! Comet have interest free on several Sony's at the moment, if I can get a price-match of some sort then I will be happy :)

10 days of hassle and 3 DVD players later I decided my Toshiba 220e wasn't very good and got a Pioneer 350 Multi-region instead. But it seems like Pioneer DVD's and Sony TV's have some problems... (been reading this forum most of the day!) Anyone got the Pioneer 350 and the Sony TV ?

I spent ages this morning (not much work today) speaking to a rather knowledgeable chap at the Sony Centre in MK and he said the current range will display NTSC through the s-vhs socket out of the box. As soon as I mentioned US GameCube he said YES it would work. Would any fellow US GameCube owners like to comment. Not that I doubt you Moory :~;)

Moory what did you mean by "Disabling NTSC switching on S-video" I wasn't expecting the TV to switch channels when I Switched on the Cube. I just want a colour display!!! You might have confused me on this point!!!

Cheers

Paul

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can get an RGB signal out of the US Gamecube if you're interested. Picture is stunning but the cable is specially made and does not come cheap. Check my site (in my sig) for more information.

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can backup YellowCow's comments regarding NTSC input via Svideo. It applies to all of the Svid connections on the set (2 of the 3 scarts + mini din socket on front. I had to enable scart 3 on mine for R1 discs, otherwise I got black/white pic. The others were also disabled.

Don't take a salesman's comments as gospel, ie make certain yourself that the tv you are considering does indeed have 2x RGB sockets, if thats your requirement. Even manufacturers' claims via spec sheets in brochures/website have been inacurate previously. I know that Sony originally claimed the DX40 had 2x RGB sockets, which wasn't the case!

7. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks groundy will check it out.

I think s-vhs on the GameCube looks fine; is the picture really that much better with the leads you mention?

Thanks simon1

I think the bloke at Comet would be a bit annoyed if I turned up with 4 consoles, 2 dvd players, 1 video recorder and about a grands worth of stereo - just to see if it all works!!!

I remember the days when you bought a TV and a video plugged it all together and everything was 100% compatible. Oh well.

Cheers for your input.

Paul

8. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Paul,

Sorry I took a while to reply - I haven't been online in a couple of days - trying to combat my Net addiction! But I see you've had help from some knowledgeable folks.

What I meant was if you try to hook up your NTSC-gamecube via S-video on any of the S-Video inputs (SCART OR DIN plug), you'll just get a scrolling fuzzy picture - i.e. JUNK. This is because they (Sony) do still set the NTSC reception on S-video to OFF at the factory. It's not a problem, as I had informed you - you just correct that in the service menu. I wasn't actually suggesting the TV would (or wouldn't) switch channels - that can often be more annoying than helpful, I find.

This is a recent (Post-DVD era) policy, as you suspected. My relatives had a GREAT (really, v.v. good picture for a 4:3 set) SONY 25"er that had 4 Scarts, and individual phono and S-Video plugs attached to EACH Ext-in input (why don't they make them like that anymore?) - that could receive any signal format on any input (incl. both NTSC formats, PAL I/B/G/K, Secam & Mesecam) and perform auto-letterboxing on an anamorphic signal. That was then.

RGB pictures, as you may know already, do give a clear performance boost over S-Video, but S-Video (depending on the quality of the cable you use) can be excellent as well. If you're not particularly fussed about getting the absolute last word in picture quality from your gamecube, then S-Video will do just fine.

As for Comet (et al) pricing - why not try some of the mail order companies? Get an AV mag (such as what video, etc.) and make a few calls to the cheaper retailers (such as Premier AV centre - they deliver next day for a tenner), and you may find you're saving at least £50-100 off Comet's own price.

Don't know about the 350, but I've had 2 Pioneer multiregion decks (by the way - Pioneer multiregion players have been flawless, in my experience, when it comes to disc compatibility - no freezing, locking, skipping, RCE problems of any kind - this is something I can't say for decks I've seen that cost literally 10 times as much) and I've never had any problems with the Sony TV. At least nothing that was specific to the TV itself or particular to the Sony/Pioneer partnership...at all...a few scratched discs wouldn't play until I cleaned and 'fixed' them, that was it....

Cheers,

Moory:)

9. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Moory

I was thinking that if Comet the shop would match Comet online, then I could get a decent price and interest free credit :)

I think I read that JL add some kind of extra warranty for free; and to be honest I like the JL aftersales service, it can't be beat.

I am unsure about buying online to be honest. I would prefer to find a shop local that would price-match.

Only just got up and all the shops are about to close, no mad rush I am likely to buy in the next month or so, but there is no hurry.

I think I will hang around here and get a few magazines like you suggest.

Would the 2 TV's I am thinking about (KV28LS60TNS and KV32LS60TNS) both be NTSC compatible through the 3 scart sockets? (it says SCART 1 and 2 are RGB) on the Sony homepage.

I remember the days when things were easy... LOL

Regards

Paul

10. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Paul,

RGB is not system-dependent - so an RGB signal from an NTSC source would work on all TV's with an RGB input, even if they were PAL-only (because it wouldn't really be NTSC anymore - just RGB @ 60Hz).

S-video, on the other hand would have to be enabled for NTSC on the sets you mention, I believe. But both the sets will receive NTSC (all recent SONY models can).

All the best

Moory

11. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers All

OK made my mind up on the Sony KV32LS60TNS. Is this still a fairly recent model?

Seen a few prices including the stand.

Every High Street Shop = £999
    Comet Online £849
    RGB Direct £827
    Electro Centre £789
    Premier A/V Centre £779

Have I missed anywhere?

A/V said they have a couple left but without stands at £700 and since I don't really need the stand could anyone tell me if the bottom of this TV is flat.

Fed up calling Sony all the time, you guys seem to know more about their products then they do :)

Thanks

Paul

12. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well done! Always do your homework before you go for an electronic investment:cool:

Yep, the KV32LS60TNS is a new model, and the price you got from Premier can be matched, but I haven't found it cheaper elsewhere (at least not with the stand).

I haven't gotten up close to the set to be 100% certain it's got a flat base, but I'm confident it does, judging from the lack of feet (such as those found on Sony's Art Couture line), and the fact that the stand is a standard 'cabinet' shape. Go to a store and see for yourself, but I'm sure it's flat.

If you do go for Premier, make sure you get a guarantee that it's a UK model you're getting, and not a European one - they stock both.

Cheerio

Moory:D

13. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I think I might go to the Solihull branch of JL and get them to price match Premier AV Centre, then I get the free 5 year warranty :D included in the price.

Making sure first the TV is in stock at both shops :rolleyes:

Yeah I read a post on this very forum, about them selling European models :mad: Thanks for the warning :)

This forum has really opened my eyes, I was going to buy the TV from Comets originally.

Regards

Paul

14. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

Just a quick update. Thanks to everyone that helped.

Went to the Milton Keynes branch of John Lewis tonight. Asked them to price-match to £780 (their price £999 - KV32LS60) against Premier AV Centre. They will let me know within 48hours.

Fingers crossed :)

Regards

Paul