NTSC vs PAL

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ice_cool, Nov 17, 2001.

1. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is better?

NTSC

525 lines (therefore more blacklines on a widescreen tv if in 2.35:1 ratio)
    60 fps (better refresh rate)

PAL

625 lines (greater resolution and less blacklines on a widescreen)
    50 fps less refresh rate.

Having played region 1 entrapment on my new widescreen tv, it looks so thin and narrow when compared to a pal 2.35:1 ratio disc such as the matrix. Surely its better to go with pal??

But then there are more ntsc dvds out there and the discs are usually much better!!!

You think the movie world would have got it sorted after the vhs\betamax war!!!!!!:mad:

Any thoughts????
    :confused:

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'm slightly confused about your thin and narrow comment, there is no difference in aspect ration between PAL and NTSC. As to which standard is best it doesn't really matter. What matters is how a film is transfered to DVD. About 90% of my DVD collection is R1 and I have done so for picture quality as much as anything. Because DVD is compressed NTSC's lower resolution can be as much as an advantage as a disadvantage.

Jeff

3. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    and then there is the frame dropping rate which makes pans stutter, and then the pitch shift between NTSC and PAL

4. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Differance?

So does that mean our PAL 625 line TVs are wider to keep the aspect the same as the NTSC 525 line TVs?

I dont understand this line business, I know we used to have more lines, but did we benifit from them ? (now the Americans have 1080 lines :eek: )

Also I thought PAL could do 60 fps?

Anne

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    With NTSC the gap between lines is more visible. Rather than the lines being thicker.

PAL is 50 Hz but some TVs and source equipment can do a hybrid mode called PAL 60.

I think that PALs higher resolution is holding us back with regards to HDTV, with the amount of compression in Digital TV we aren't even making the most out of what we already have.

Jeff

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD and play it on a widescreen tv zoomed into the correct mode for non-anamorphic widescreen, with R1 DVDs you are more likely to see the scan lines than you are on R2 DVDs.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Note that PAL60 is usually used for NTSC DVDs on non-NTSC TVs only, i.e. those that can understand PAL50 and PAL60 but not pure NTSC.

I agree that the quality depends a lot on the mastering, there are bad NTSC as there are bad PAL DVDs.
    PAL has the theoratical advantage of higher resolution but then again it has the lower refresh rate (more flicker) ... guess HDTV is the way to go to sort this finally out.

BTW: I have also subscribed to digital TV (via SAT) here and I am disguisted with the VCD-like picture quality and the sound distortions (plain ol' stereo/DPL) I experience from time to time - always think my speakers just blew. :eek:

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,896
    Amazing, isn't it, what strange conclusions people draw from technical information.

Just to set the record straight, on a properly adjusted TV, all other things being equal, there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the shape of the picture, or in the relative size of the black letterboxing that appears when the film has a wider aspect ratio than the TV has, between PAL or NTSC (or between 525 or 625 lines).

The number of lines quoted here is the total number of horizontal scan lines in the picture signal. In either case, only a portion of these are actually used to convey picture info. NTSC=480; PAL=576. The rest are used in what is known as the blanking interval.

A properly adjusted TV will fill the vertical dimension of the screen with either the 480 lines, or the 576 lines, depending on the signal. In order to do this, the lines are displayed slightly further apart on NTSC (480) than on PAL (576).

The overall shape of the picture is therefore exactly the same in either case. The only difference is in the spacing of the lines which are therefore slightly more visible on NTSC.

In reality, the answer to the "which is best" question is - usually, neither. The overall impression will depend more on other factors than on the TV system used.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is something that could change the positioning and that is the tv settings for NTSC and PAL maybe different. Maybe the width, height and/or postioning are set differently for NTSC.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,896
    ....hence the "on a properly adjusted TV" caveat above

11. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep,

there are 2 versions of Entrapment on R1 and it sounds like you watched the non-anamorphic one.

The R1 SE version in anamorphic and will look the same on the screen as the Matrix...