1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC vs PAL : what DVD movies that NTSC is better ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by csukasem, Sep 1, 2005.

1. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What DVD movies do you know for sure that NTSC is better than PAL ??

Thanks

Sukasem

2. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hmm, that's a difficult question. It used to be that DVDs from the States more often came with DTS soundtracks (e.g. that's why I bought Band of Brothers from the States).

These days things seem to be more equal. Another way to look at this would be to think of a DVD you might want to buy and then take a look at Rewind :
    Rewind@dvdcompare

Type in the movie name in the box (left-hand side halfway down) and it'll give you a good idea which version / region etc. is best.

Hope that helps.

3. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,789
    I'd say generally R1 titles have better picture quality than R2,but this is really down to the remastering rather than the techincal differences (which would mean PAL should be slightly better)
    Since getting a projector I've become increasingly anal about PQ :blush: ,I always check out region/version comparisons before buying and have found R1 dvds to be better on average.

I'd say the best PQ comparison site is DVDBeaver ,have a browse for yourself. :smoke:

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Not convinced R1 NTSC gives the best PQ, they used to be better than R2 UK but I am not convinced by that arguement anymore. If you talk about R2 NTSC then yes I believe this is the best currently but this is just bit rate rather than the old PAL / NTSC arguments.

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If I'm familiar with the music, I like to get it at the normal speed.

6. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry but I mainly buy R1 or NTSC dvd's as i just cant handle the PAL sound speedup, why should I listen to a film where everyone sounds like they are extras from itchy and scratchy shows. :rotfl: I know its a slight exaggeration but you get what I mean.
    PQ is very very similar in any dvd's I have tried side by side ( R1 v R2 ) not that I have tried many, but as bee said before surely its not just NTSC or PAL but how its mastered that will make the difference ?
    Spooks

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    running these at 48Hz with genlock (Lumagen) may open some options for people here, not juddery 3:2 we normally get with NTSC, and super smooth and with PAL 2:2 as well. Can't do anything about 4% speed up as it is a video tweak but suddenly gives us a whole new dimension with the same discs. Quite a jump forward in my book and with existing DVD discs, not a new format. Gets rid of some of the NTSC vs PAL arguments.