1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC Vs PAL on SONY DCRTRV33

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by larkin, Jan 15, 2004.

1. larkin

larkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Would any body out there be able to answer this question?

I have an existing / old analogue camcorder and I have the opportunity to buy a new Mini DV camcorder from the USA. The camcorder I am interested in is the Sony DCRTRV33. The NTSC version is cheaper than the PAL (DCRTRV33E) version but I need to use the 'Digital Pass Through' feature of the camera to transfer my old videos through to the PC via Firewire. Anyone with a TR33 out there will hopefully know what I am going on about.

Will there be a problem because one is PAL and the other NTSC?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi larkin and welcome to the forum :hiya:

Thats a very good point and I really don't know the answer. At a complete guess I would say that it should work ok as PAL & NTSC are the recording formats and nothing is being recorded on the DV cam, but don't quote me on that! :confused:
    The other thing to look at is if you get caught bringing the cam back into the UK (now or even in a few years time) you can be charged VAT & import duty. With the cheap internet prices now available are you really going to be saving much money?

Mark.

3. larkin

larkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Thanks for replying. I did a search on this forum and have been reading about the issue of 'getting caught' and that does worry me a little not to mention the warranty issues (which the retailer has already warned me of!).

My reason for considering a purchase from the states is that when I was there last I bought an SLR camera and saved an absolute bundle (from B & H Photo). I didn't get stopped through customs so never considered it.

With the current pound / dollar situation and the price of these cameras in the UK it is very tempting. I even have the option of buying an E - PAL version to absolutely sure but it all comes down to getting through customs and I am not a gambling man!!

This forum is very informative indeed.

Thanks again

4. larkin

larkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

I just had a thought. Can you recommend any UK or Euro websites / shops for buying camcorders? I only know the obvious places and I always prefer to buy from reputable or recommended retailers.

Thanks

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Only buy NTSC if you are moving to an NTSC country

Get a euro model cheap

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    AJElectronics seem to get rave reviews from some on here. Have a search around this forum and see what you can find. Also get a camcorder mag and have a look through the adverts.
    Once you have found a price you are happy with take the advert/web adrress & phone number etc along to a Jessops and they will pricematch it for you. No risk of an untrustworthy e-tailer etc.

Mark.

7. APJONES

APJONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0