1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC vs PAL - am i right here?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by De|ta, Jun 6, 2003.

1. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya
    I've always thought of PAL as being a superior (if only slightly) standard to NTSC.

If my reading is correct, NTSC less vertical lines and this is noticeable. NTSC has lower video bandwidth, 4.2mhz compared to PALs 5mhz and a lower audio bandwidth, 4.5mhz to PALs 5.5mhz.

The only thing i can see NTSC has over PAL is a frame rate of 29.997 to PALs 25. But IIRC the human works at around 25.4, and thats also what cinemas use as their frame rate, so this doesnt really help NTSC in any way.

Or am i wrong - is there something i've not taken into account?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talking about the differences of NTSC & PAL on DVD medium, or broadcast?

IMO NTSC on DVD is superior, but our PAL broadcast is superior.

3. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    outputed from a device, say a console

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well regarding consoles, PAL will look better - extra resoultion, however PAL games are slower and only run in 50hz- you might notice the 50hz flicker (with a standard 50hz TV), wheras NTSC games are a bit faster and in 60hz.

Also PAL games have a slight top & bottom border, NTSC is full-screen.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Certainly in my case, 'human perception' - as regards refresh rates on CRT devices - works at a speed in excess of 75hz (ie I can see, and am annoyed by, flicker at 75hz, but not at 85hz).

Of course there is a huge difference in the way 'refresh rate' applies to true film projection in a cinema, to how it works on a CRT.

And LCD devices don't exhibit any refresh rate flicker, regardless of how slow the signal refresh rate is.

So, I am VERY aware of the difference in flicker between the 50hz of PAL the and 60hz of NTSC, when viewed on a straight CRT (one without any 100hz or similar processing).

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    As regards DVD, I've always found PAL MUCH better.

The worst kind of DVD I have seen is Letter-Boxed NTSC in zoom mode on my WS RP TV...LOOKS AWFUL !

7. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there not a PAL60 where it refreshes at 60hz?

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Yes, there is. It is produced by some DVD players and VCRs but only when they have NTSC software (disc, tape) in them.

It is, in fact, the B&W component of an NTSC signal, with the colour component converted to PAL. It is a "bastard" signal which is only* used to increase the likelihood that a TV will be able to play NTSC material in colour; many modern TVs can reproduce the B&W part of an NTSC signal, but can't recognise its colour. Hence this compromise

(* actually, I think it is used commercially in Brasil).

9. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Remember that film projectors have a shutter in front of the gate, which means every frame is shown twice, because at 24fps you will perceive a flicker.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I find pal dvds better on my pal optimised sharp uk spec tv but find ntsc dvds better on my ntsc optimised AE100 projector. As a general rule of course. Of course for sheer impact both are better on projector but the ntsc dvds rule there.

11. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Delta, I've always believed film runs at 24 fps. The human eye perceives anything over 10fps as motion, but 25 is not the optimal speed, especially for fast moving action. In the distant future standard video will run faster and our current system will look unnatural in comparason. ;-)

PAL is a better system than NTSC despite the extra frame rate. There's a lot to be said for the extra resolution and colour bandwidth, although an NTSC DVD with pure RGB/component looks very nice (but not as nice as PAL :)

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    PAL and NTSC standards are the same regardless of whether it comes from a VCR, broadcast or from a DVD.

You shoudl remember that component out of a DVD player is not NTSC or PAL it is 480i or 576i...they are not the same.

You have confused vertical resolution with vertical lines....
    Vertical resolution is a measure of ability to differentiate HORIZONTAL lines.

As a method of getting a backward compatible colour signal in to as little space as possible with highest image quality I'd suggest PAL is superior to NTSC.

On software though there are so many other variables you cannot say that PAL is better than NTSC.

Gordon