• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NTSC Vs PAL 360 Console

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
Hello people I am after a bit of advice. I fancy playing some of the NTSC releases of games( sports ones) that won't make these shores. Is it worth me selling my PAL console and buying a NTSC console or keeping it and having two 360's? My question is if I bought a NTSC console will I be able to get the same games which are region coded for PAL for the NTSC console or will it work like the Baseball game on the American consoles and some of them not being released for the NTSC console? (I hope this make sense!)
Any advice is appreciated and if this is in the wrong place MOD please move to the appropriate place. Thanks in advance

robo989

Banned
What do I eat for tea tonight....hmmm....let me think....uhhhh...mmmmhhh....chicken nuggets.....hmmmm....baby food....uhhh...nah I just can't think....what do you reckon :)

Soz just kiddin, please excuse me :thumbsup:

I guess it comes down to how you feel about it really.

1. Its easy enough to get hold of NTSC\U\J games at a decent price from places like play-asia.

2. Not many games don't get released in america

3. More and more games are being region coded. It looks like virtually all of them will be from now on.

4. You won't be able to play PAL Region 2 DVDs on the xbox with an american console.

5. EA region code ALL their games - those are the ones your talking of MLB\etc?

If I could go back I'd get a jap console myself, but thats cos I like the type of games they do that don't come out here ever. There's only been a american releases that haven't\won't come out here....dunno it really depends on how much you like the american games.

Your not really losing out to be honest, you just won't be able to get games in the shop n will have to order them online.

Also I'm not quite sure if american releases can be had that cheaply from places like play-asia. But the jap\asian ones can...

Comes down to that then.

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
I know the thread was quite muddled but just trying to work out in my head the justification for two 360's! and also convince the wife! not bothered for the DVD play back but your answer # 3 about not many games don't get released in America is the one I wanted really still want to take friends on on live etc. Thanks for you time in reply and it was chicken I had for tea:thumbsup: :clap:

NackNack

Banned
"3. More and more games are being region coded. It looks like virtually all of them will be from now on.

5. EA region code ALL their games - those are the ones your talking of MLB\etc?"

There is no basis for number three - third-party games tend to be region free half the time (titles like GRAW, DOA4, Tony Hawks, Gun, Prey etc).

MLB has nothing to do with EA.

Dwarf Marsh - I hardly use my PAL 360, but it's certainly handy to have the UK power supply, and the extra controller sometimes is very useful to me. NCAA, MLB and College Hoops all look unlikely to get UK releases, the latter two almost certainly won't although NCAA may.

If you really are interested in getting the US sports games, then by all means go for it. :) Titles work out cheaper imported from Play-Asia and Videogamesplus.com anyway.

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
cheers guys I will have a think over the next few days and decide.( although I'm anchoring towards an core system and just transfer the power surply between the consoles to play, maybe buy a second hand hard drive later. Approximatly What import charge would there be on a console does anyone know?

stewartbradford

Established Member
Well I got hit with an extra £30 importing my White PSP just before Christmas from Play-Asia, probably talking much the same maybe a bit more.

NackNack

Banned
Import charge can be pricey, but bear in mind people sell them in the UK, Movietyme I think do, but so do people on forums.

If you already have a Premium, just switch the power supply and hard drive over when you need to.

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
I intend to do that with the power surply and hard drive. What is this movityme like? I have seen you got yours Nack Nack from here but they seem very few and far between unless somebody knows any one! I will have a look at movietyme now cheers guys

NackNack

Banned
Sometimes they pop up on NTSC-UK and rllmukforum.com, but that's not too often in all fairness. Keep an eye out on those sites and on DVDForums and you might get lucky.

Movietyme have been pretty shoddy in the past but seem to be much better as of late.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Had a look on Movietymes site. Can see no mention of consoles on there? Only hardware seems to be HD DVD players...or am i missing something?

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
Saldawop said:
Had a look on Movietymes site. Can see no mention of consoles on there? Only hardware seems to be HD DVD players...or am i missing something?

I couldn't find any either I'm edging towards that dvdboxoffice place to be honnest

NackNack

Banned
DVDboxoffice are awful, do not bother. Impossible to cancel pre-orders and back orders last I checked also.

Videogamesplus.com are ace, and will mark packages down for you too (get them to mark it as a load of books!).

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
Well finally took the plunge and went for a premium pack from VG+. Can always shift the HD on I have also ordered college hoops and baseball separatelyf for the console and games delivered it was about £350. I paid in canadian dollors as it was a better deal. If I have the second hard drive can I just have my profile on both or will I have to recover every time. If that is the case I will just transfer the HD from the PAL console. It says 1-14 days delivery so count down begins!!

Dwarf Mash

Established Member
console shipped friday and got it today not bad really and the box marked as toy/game, no commercial value, contestant winner - I didnt get an invoice should I expect one in the post or have I hit lucky?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
If it was delivered by a courier then you might get a bill in the post.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom