1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC VHS to pal

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JimM, May 13, 2003.

1. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A friend got married in Vegas and had their wedding videoed but they forgot it would be in NTSC format. I've offered to see if I can help them out but need a bit of advice.

I think my VCR may be able to cope with NTSC so my plan is to cCapture the analogue signal onto miniDv via my camcorder and then put the now digital signal into Pinnacle so I can add titles etc

What is going to be the best method of then getting this back to PAL VHS. Will Pinnacle do this or something like TMPGenc ??

Thanks

Jim

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If (and only if as most don't :mad: ) your camcorder has analogue (& DV) inputs enabled then you should be able to copy the VHS directly to the PC only useing the camcorder as a converter. There should be no need to copy to DV tape, putting extra wear and tear on the camcorders heads.
    If you then edit etc as required and then just tell Pinnacle to copy the film back to tape. No conversion should be required as the footage will be in DV format at all times on the PC. Yet again no tape will be required in the camcorder and should be able to go directly to VHS PAL (again useing camcorder to convert from DV to analogue).
    Of course, if you do not have inputs enabled on the camcorder then none of this will be possible.

Be aware that the quality of playback of an NTSC VHS tape will be lower than a PAL VHS recording on your PAL VCR.

Mark.

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Most machines only play back NTSC signals using PAL60, this means you may not be able to capture it to your Camcorder or PC at all, unless you have a machine that will play the tape in it's native NTSC and then capture via NTSC also.

"No conversion should be required as the footage will be in DV format at all times on the PC. "

yes but it would be NTSC DV footage, unless you have a way of capturing and converting from NTSC to PAL in the first place.

You need to get a proper NTSC/PAL converter box, set you back about £80

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    A proper NTSC/PAL converter (ie, one which will fully convert NTSC/525/60 into PAL/625/50 will cost upwards of GBP300.

The GBP80 boxes convert true NTSC to pseudo-pal (aka pal60) which the playback VCR is probably already doing.

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95