1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Seth Gecko, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Help!!!!!

I have a VHS tape of a really cool movie (Big Man on Campus) but it's NTSC format.

I want to be able to backup this tape onto DVD. I have a Sony video, a Panasonic DVD-R/HDD recorder (I'm sure models at this point are irrelevant - if not I'll quote them later).

I have a SCART cable that removes Macro protection etc - so no issues there with normal tapes - but NTSC is proving an issue. I can tell the Panny to record an NTSC signal - but the VHS is certainly not outputting PAL or NTSC - the best signal I can get gives a "fuzzy" B&W picture.

HELP!!!!!!! What would I need to do the conversion!?!? :lease:

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your vcr will output PAL 60,not pure NTSC.Your Panasonic only records pure NTSC.Only Pioneer and Philips dvd recorders will record PAL 60.
    You're buggered!
    You need to get a multiformat vcr(not easy) or a new dvdr(not cheap).
    Standalone digital standards converters are expensive for a decent one :(

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    So, if I just go out and purchase a Pioneer DVR420HS, my "problem" will be solved ?

Just checking before I go and get one !!

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the VHS is copy protected you will need a special Scart lead to remove the CP,but yes,your problem will be solved

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sadmuppet - do you know how your TV displays the NTSC? I have NO idea about this, but is it likely it converts it to PAL 50 for display? If so you might just be able to get a signal from the TV to record on your Panny.

Try playing the tape through to your TV then hit Direct TV Rec on the Panny.
    You may get a msg saying you can't do it, but it's worth a try.

(US E85s don't have this because hey don't use scarts)

6. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had a stack of NTSC tapes and copied them onto a Panasonic E30 from a Sony tru multi system VHS deck.

You need to set the E30 etc to operate in NTSC mode and make sure your getting a true NTSC signal out of the VHS deck and not the modified one that most generic VCRs put out to play on TVs.

I would offer doing it for you but I don't have any tech to remove macrovision.

M

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Pretty sure my LCD outputs pure NTSC if that's the signal it's getting - but I'd hazard that the VCR is outputing PAL60 as was mentioned earlier. I'll give that method a quick shot, failing that I can see the Pioneer swap over being the way. Damn - was happy with the Panny too - but hey I guess if this works then Laserdisk will be the same.....Hmmmmm wonder if AC3 Soundtrack can be done too..........