NTSC VHS to DVD backup?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ivuernis, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ivuernis

ivuernis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a collection of both European PAL and American NTSC format VHS tapes which I want to backup on DVD.

I am currently looking at both the Panasonic DMR-ES30 and Daewoo DF8150P to do this. I know they'll both be able to backup the PAL tapes to DVD but I am unsure as to whether either can backup NTSC format tapes to DVD.

Would anyone here be able to confirm whether this is possible on either player?

Much appreciated,
    ivuernis

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I believe Panasonics have traditionally had the ability to record an NTSC signal and produce an NTSC DVD, but I'm not sure if they can do this for a PAL60 feed, which is what you'll most likely get from a UK VHS player playing an NTSC tape. I've no idea about the Daewoo. I do know Pioneer DVD recorders can work with PAL, PAL60 and NTSC provided you change the lines settings in the menu.

Alternatively, you could get yourself a digital standards converter from the likes of Lektropacks or Keene. This would have the secondary advantage that is would remove Macrovision as a by-product, which may or may not be useful to you. Not cheap though at several hundred pounds for a composite only rig, and more for one that would handle S-Video.

Regards

Mark

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    ....and not good either. Any standards conversion will unavoidably degrade the signal; always better to keep it in its native state. I confirm what Mark_a says about Pioneers. They do make "NTSC" DVDs from NTSC and PAL60 signals.