NTSC to Pal again - more help from Mark

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barry W, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Barry W

Barry W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone else is of course free to comment but Mark was so helpful last time I have a follow up.

From the previous thread it seems as though the real problem is getting something from an NTSC DVD to a Pal DVD and vice versa. You say there are no DVD recorders that effectively do what the Pan NV-W1 or Samsung SV5000W do in video tape world.

Given this what is my best option:

1. I have both a Samsung SV5000W and Panasonic NV-W1 - can I use this by effectively playing through ie connect a DVD player to the SV5000W set that to the correct format I want then connect that to a DVD recorder. If I do this what facilities do each of the 2 DVD machines require. Can one be a cheap and cheerful player ie £100 or less and does the recorder need anything that not all recorders have?

2. If 1 isn't possible then presumably we are talking about the same scenario but using a different piece of hardware to insert inbetween the 2 DVD machines. What is the best piece of kit to buy and what sort of price range and what features do you pay for.

3. I would prefer not to use videotape as there will be a severe quality loss but presumably I could play on a cheap and cheerful DVD player record on SV5000W in format of my choice then go back to DVD recorder in format of my choice eg NTSC but would I be able to record in NTSC on the DVD recorder.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Barry,

For 1: I don’t know the SV5000W, but I believe it is a VCR which is able to do standards conversion, right? Then the question is, can it do this conversion in a “pass through” mode. I don’t know. But even if it does, the conversion quality would be limited by the composite video output, as well as the quality of the conversion. What DVD player you use shouldn’t matter much. The recorder would need to be one which can handle NTSC, many can do this, but not all.

For 2), I am aware there are hardware conversion units, but that’s it. I couldn’t recommend one, or tell you what you get for your money if you get a better one. I’ve only done the conversion in software.

For 3) yes, this would work (again, make sure the DVD recorder can record both NTSC and PAL). Actually, I would not expect the actual writing to tape to reduce the quality that much if you use a good tape. I.e. if method 1 works, you still take the quality hit there, and I think that will be more significant than the write to tape.

Mark

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    ntsc to pal and vice verse
    buy your self a dvd player based on the Mediatek chipsek (Yamada, DK digital, etc) approx £40 (this chipset converts output to standard of your choice)
    buy yourself a dvd recorder, approx £150 (my philips dvdr 75 records the standard you feed it, as long as it starts with a blank dvdr)

play disk from player to recorder, selecting desired standard as output on player
    conversion done.

standards conversion problems are a thing of the past, the other day I was playing 2 dvds into my PWD6, side by side using picture by picture. One dvd was playing a NTSC dvd and output, the other was playing a PAL dvd and output. The Panny happily played them sided by side, don't ask me how, I don't have a clue.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Agree this looks like a good solution.

I wouldn't go so far to say standards conversion is a thing of the past... for us in PAL land playing NTSC isn't a problem, but there is still a need to convert from PAL to NTSC if you want to make sure it can be played in a NTSC country.

Mark

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the Yamada 6700 costs £42 delivered in the UK
    It can output 3 different standards, at your selection

1) PAL (doesn't matter what format is played, output is always PAL)
    2) NTSC (doesn't matter what format is played, output is always NTSC)
    3 MULTI (output is same as the Dvd is playing)

I'm pretty sure players with the mediatek chipset are availabe in the USA

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks - interesting.
    I know that some players in the US will play a PAL disc (not sure if this chipset or not), so my original suggestion to BarryW was that if he just wants to share with one person there, have them get a player that takes PAL. Then he could just send PAL recordings and not worry about conversion.

But if you want most anyone to be able to play something on most any player in the US, conversion is still needed. Maybe one day all players will handle both systems.

Mark

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Sampo 611, will do the job, here is a review saying it will play any dvd as NTSC
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/sampo/
    $120 so a bit more expensive then the UK prices

or
    Toshiba SD2715 5-Disc DVD Player
    second hand at amazon.com for $70