1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC RGB and PAL Tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr A, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can someone help, I may be clutching at straws here but wish to know if a PAL TV with RGB capability via scart can be used succesfully with a region decoded Sony DVD player that outputs NTSC. My understanding is that the player will output RGB. The budegt can only stretch to a DVD player at present but I hope to follow up with a new TV next year.

Does the RGB still carry the NTSC code?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Ntsc is compatible with RGB, but make sure the tv you are going to purchase is ntsc compatible.
    Not all modern tv's are compatible with ntsc, my brother bought a Phillip's 28" widescreen tv last year, he now has a multi region dvd player, and has found out his tv is not ntsc compatible.

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Wow clear as mud.

RGB is neither NTSC or PAL its RGB!
    You basically get two types of dvd 625/50 (region2 UK) and 525/60 formatted (region1 mostly).

UK dvd players can handle both types. How they do this varies from player to player but most will: output both types as RGB. Output both as either PAL or NTSC or PAL60 (NTSC formatted but with a PAL colour signal basically).

Ideally you want to stick with RGB. Now most TVs out there accept RGB through their first scart port. The only other thing you need to ascertain is if the TV can handle a 525/60 signal (this doesn't necessarily mean its also NTSC compatable). Obviously if the TV says it can handle NTSC it will handle a 525/60 via RGB also.

In my experience most newish sets (ie within 5 years old) with an RGB capable scart socket will handle a 525/60 RGB signal EVEN if they don't actually state NTSC compatability. They will also handle a PAL60 composite signal if the above applies.

However try the set before you buy.

4. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying, the issue is a little clearer. I will contact the TV supplier, its an ex Rental Finlandia TV with toshiba insides that I have, and I am looking to buy a region free Sony DVD. The TV accepts RGB on the second scart and SVHS on both. I am restricted to DVD player at the moment and have to wait for a new TV although if the RGB route works then I wont need a new TV.

If anyone has more info/knowledge please let me know.