NTSC (R1) Discs

Mr Yakimoto

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Am I missing something here! Why dont NTSC (R1) discs automatically morph to widescreen format on my FLR? and the picture does seem to be darker than PAL also.

Is there a setting somewhere?

Cheers

I presume you are connected to your display device using s-video or composite?

Your display device autoswitches between 4:3 and 16:9 when it detects a signal hidden in line 23 of a PAL signal, which tells it which aspect ratio to use. However, this information is not contained in an NTSC signal, hence no aspect ratio switching - you'll have to do it manually.

As to it being darker, I'm afraid I can't help with that.

There is actually WSS line in NTSC signal too, but noone seems to use it.

You presumed Correctly. Although I do have PSM,I dont have the sockets on my TV, so old S Vid it is.

Thanks for your help

lovegroova said:
I presume you are connected to your display device using s-video or composite?

Your display device autoswitches between 4:3 and 16:9 when it detects a signal hidden in line 23 of a PAL signal, which tells it which aspect ratio to use. However, this information is not contained in an NTSC signal, hence no aspect ratio switching - you'll have to do it manually.

As to it being darker, I'm afraid I can't help with that.

Hi Mr Yakimoto!

I think you need to change the IRE setting on the DVD32R to 7.5IRE to get the correct black levels on your TV. The option is in the setup menu. After changing it exit the menu, switch the player off and then back on again.

Alternatively use the brightness and contrast controls to get the correct levels as most sets have independent settings for NTSC and PAL.

Stevesky,

I dont think I can change this setting as it states that I have the PSM module although its not in use...............should this be the case?

Regards

Stevesky said:
Hi Mr Yakimoto!

I think you need to change the IRE setting on the DVD32R to 7.5IRE to get the correct black levels on your TV. The option is in the setup menu. After changing it exit the menu, switch the player off and then back on again.

Alternatively use the brightness and contrast controls to get the correct levels as most sets have independent settings for NTSC and PAL.

If it has PSM installed then the IRE level cannot be adjusted, only option is to try and adjust it on the TV end using the brightness and contrast controls.

Mr Yakimoto said:
You presumed Correctly. Although I do have PSM,I dont have the sockets on my TV, so old S Vid it is.

Thanks for your help

Why dont you use RGsB? :)

Probably because his TV cannot show progressive.

This with no IRE if PSM installed is sort of pain...

most certainly is.

Thanks for all your help though.

Plump said:
Probably because his TV cannot show progressive.

This with no IRE if PSM installed is sort of pain...

Now wouldn't it be nice if the fixed IRE was only active on the PSM output..........thus allowing it to be changed from 0 to 7.5 on the non PSM outputs...... I won't hold my breath......

Would also be logical..............never mind

GrahamMG said:
Now wouldn't it be nice if the fixed IRE was only active on the PSM output..........thus allowing it to be changed from 0 to 7.5 on the non PSM outputs...... I won't hold my breath......

Ah Star Trek.......what fond memories :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom