1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC progressive RGB Scart

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gtg60, Apr 12, 2005.

1. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Long story short here, getting a new all-in-one and tv for my girlfriends place, dvd player has component out and is progressive scan, TV I'm looking at is a JVC 28X4, this claims to be able to take a 525p NTSC signal BUT it has no component input.
    I rang their tech support and was told that it's able to handle the NTSC progressive scan signal through the RGB scart, something doesn't add up here, can anybody enlighten me?

Keith

2. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I mean, that I thought Progressive Scan signals could only come through a Component input :confused:
    And will my DVD player be able to output a Progressive Scan image though the RGB Scart :confused:

Anybody :lease:

Keith

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Scart is a plug & socket connection and not a signal type. Scart can carry many different video signals such as composite, S-Video & RGsB, and on a few TV's this can include YUV component. Therefore to get a progressive scan signal to the TV you will need a lead with 3 phono to scart connections which will be carrying a YUV component signal. Plug the 3 phonos into the component output of the DVD player and the scart into the component compatable scart socket. You then just need to set the TV to look for the component signal.

Mark.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    What they mean is that the TV has it's own internal Progressive Scan mode which converts the incoming interlaced image to progressive. A progressive signal cannot be passed via RGB Scart. It's usually passed via Component, VGA or the newer HDMI/DVI inputs/outputs. :)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Having looked at the JVC site and the details for this TV it does list:
    • NTSC Progressive (525p/60Hz)

But then on the list of scart connections:
    • 3 SCARTs 1: RGB-In, AV-In/Out; 2: RGB-In, S-Video In, AV-In/Out; 3: S-Video In, AV-In

so I am a bit confused because as Jase has said a scart that only accepts RGB can not accept a progressive signal. At least one of the scarts must be listed as accepting component signal for it to accept progressive NTSC.

Mark.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not for a moment saying you're wrong, but if progressive can be output using VGA why not via RGB SCART .. how does the RGB output by a VGA port differ from that carried by SCART?

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    On a Scart output the signal is RGBcvS that is RGB with the sync timing derived from the composite video signal.

VGA sockets are usually expecting RGBHV (Seperate H and V syncs), RGBS (combined H+V sync), RGsB (sync carried on green)....not RGBcvS

Gordon

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I used to own a few JVC TV's. ;) The only JVC's (aside from Plasma & LCD's) that will accept a Progressive Signal from a DVD player are those with actual Component Inputs such as the HV32D25 etc. Some of the other JVC models have their own Progressive Scan mode which works with NTSC sources and will convert the incoming interlaced signal to progressive internally. You can feed these TV's RGB, S-Video or Composite via Scart but not Component.

Hope this helps. :)

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gordon: Gotcha, I keep forgetting the Sync can be in various places depending on the connection type.

10. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for all the posts guys :smashin:

You've confirmed what I was suspecting in that this TV has no Component inputs and the NTSC Progressive (525p/60Hz) signal that it's able to accept is very misleading :suicide:

I understand the reasons why any price range DVD player can have Component out and Progressive Scan but why is it that only top of the range TV's have this feature, oh well...

Keith

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To be honest, feeding progressive scan to a CRT IMX often doesn't produce the same significant increase in PQ as it does when feeding a digital panel.

You must remember CRT is generally an interlaced technology since broadcast signals are like that so there's no basic requirement for a TV to accept a progressive signal, which it presumably has to massage in some way, which is why I suppose you only see this feature on more expensive TVs. Digital panels are inherently progressive devices and so must contain a deinterlacer in any case.