Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NTSC progressive games on Panasonic PD30

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by mrcolobus, Nov 21, 2004.

1. mrcolobus

mrcolobus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just ordered component cables for PS2, XBox and Gamecube and a four way component switch box.
    My concern is with running 480p games in 4:3 as the PD30 automatically switches to 16:9 when running in NTSC progressive (I assume this happens in PAL progressive as well?) so I imagine all 4:3 games will be stretched or I'll have to play them interlaced, which is a bummer.

Anyone else had this problem or found a work-around???

Having said that my PS2 Ixos component lead arrived yesterday and the jump in quality from RGB or svideo is more than I expected :thumbsup:

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    Surely you can just adjust the picture using the Pannys various picture modes like 'smart' or 'auto' to get the picture how you want it. There must be some sort of manual override to keep 4:3 in its native size.

3. mrcolobus

mrcolobus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've only watched NTSC DVDs in progressive so far and it locks it to 16:9, but if the DVD player (Pioneer 565) is outputting an interlaced signal you can do as you like.

It's quite annoying as I watch a lot of anime DVDs which are 4:3 so I have to turn off the progressive output on the player.
    I'm anticipating having to do a similar thing for non 16:9 games.

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'm in exactly the same situation, and no, there is nothing you can do. If your games are not 16:9, then you will get a stretched picture.

5. baku

baku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys know if Panasonic PX30 or PD50 suffer from this problem too?

6. mrcolobus

mrcolobus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've no idea about other TV's.
    I'd be gutted though, I've just received my component leads for the other consoles but I can't run any 4:3 games in progressive. It would be a bummer if other TVs could do 4:3 progressive.
    I'm well pleased that I now have everything in component though :thumbsup:
    The difference between that and RGB, or svideo is so much more than I expected.

7. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi mrcolobus,

Sorry for jumping slightly off topic guys, but rather than turn off your progressive output, can you configure your DVD for use on a 4:3 TV or squeeze the image? I know one of the options in my Denon 3910 setup is the "Squeeze Mode" which outputs a progressive 16:9 image via the component outputs but with black bars down the side so I still get the content presented in 4:3 mode. Given how much content is 16:9 or wider these days though I usually find myself too lazy to switch and just watch it slighty stretched!

My old Sony 7700 (and the other Sony's I've seen) have TV setup options but whether switching to 4:3 Letterbox or 4:3 Pan/Scan makes any difference other than turning off anamorphic output remains to be seen.

As for the gaming situation, I'm waiting for my Xbox Advanced AV pack and Nintendo Component Lead for the GC from Lik-Sang so I'll let you know how I get on. AFAIK though, the progressive input mode on the PD30 is totally locked in 16:9 mode - from first hand experience in PAL too. What about applying the TV setup in the DVD chat above in the Xbox dashboard to set it to 4:3 mode?

Cheers,

Colin

8. mrcolobus

mrcolobus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the suggestions but no luck, bummer.
    I'm after a Denon 2910 so hopefully that will have the same feature, my Pioneer 565 doesn't.

After a month or so of changing all the cables and comparing progressive to non-progressive on the X-Box I'd hardly descripe the difference as night and day, although it is better. The biggest improvement was with the PS2 and the IXOS component lead, I almost spoiled my trousers...

Also, if anyone's after a component switch box try this one
    http://www.inday.com/rgb4x/rgb4x.htm
    I'm well impressed with mine and looking at the site it seems to be quite future proof. Delivered within a week, and with a 220-240v power supply without me asking... albeit a two pin one.