NTSC Playback

Charles Elton

Standard Member
I've just bought a Samsung VR355 VHS/DVD recorder. Everything works fine, but it doesn't seem to play NTSC tapes. My old VHS player did them and the TV will show them. Does the Samsung just not do NTSC (I thought all VHS machines did) or do I need to change some setting? Thanks

Charles

Hal_loe

Novice Member
Hi Charles

Welcome to the forum.

I've just bought a Samsung VR355 VHS/DVD recorder. Everything works fine, but it doesn't seem to play NTSC tapes. My old VHS player did them and the TV will show them. Does the Samsung just not do NTSC (I thought all VHS machines did) or do I need to change some setting?
The trouble you are probably encountering is that PAL VHS players / recorders play back NTSC as quasi NTSC rather than pure NTSC.

This is a mixture if PAL and NTSC signals. (PAL colour information and a NTSC base B&W image. (PAL60)

You will probably find that the DVD Recorder is unable to accept these signals.

Some DVD Recorders will accept this signal many will not.

It might be worth trying to change the settings to NTSC if possible or if your old VHS player still works connecting it up to the DVD Recorder and see if it will accept the signal.

Hal_loe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom