NTSC playback?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Trancemaster, Dec 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Trancemaster

Trancemaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all,

Hoping you can help me out here. I got a Wii for Chrimbo, but unfortunately it is a US version. On my Mum's basic Philips 4:3 CRT job, it worked fine through the composite side inputs. On my crappy 28" Bush CRT (6-7+ years old), I only get a black and white image. I could just sell my console and get a UK one when they're available again but I'm reluctant to do that. I could also, I suppose, buy an RGB cable. Instead, I'm choosing to see it as a sign that I need a new TV. So, I'm in the market for a 32" LCD, around the £600 mark and so far have narrowed down my choices to:

Toshiba WLT
    Sony KDL32S2010U
    Philips 32PF7531D
    Samsung 32" (I forget the exact model)

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Sony as their website clearly states that it will accept the correct NTSC signal.

My question really is, should all/most modern TV's support NTSC OK (meaning, should I be less picky with which TV I buy = save money)?

A lot of the other TV's I've come across state "NTSC playback" as a feature, but that isn't specific enough for me. The last thing I want to do is buy one, get it home, find I still have the same problem and then have hassle sending it back etc. I also don't want to buy a TV solely on the NTSC capability, I want other features too!

Thanks in advance.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,263
    A new TV bought in the UK that won't handle NTSC is highly unlikely but I couldn't say with 100% certainty you won't find one.

Why don't you take an the WII in store with you?

3. spinach_pie

spinach_pie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One thing I'd like to make you aware of - the Wii looks quite bad on HDTVs (as does PS2)

4. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The Wii looks alright on HDTVs even with Composite in my opinion. It should look great with Component so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

5. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The Wii looks a bit poor on my 32inch Aquos LCD via composite. I haven't got the component yet. I wouldn't even want to try it on my 46" X series.

On my parents Sony 32inch CRT it looked great. I think the larger the screen the less it fares. Although Wii sports seems clear on any screen. Zelda looks fuzzy on my LCD, but that could be the muddy textures.

6. Trancemaster

Trancemaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Even with the higher than normal Wii output enabled?

Thanks for the advice peeps. Got it narrowed down to the Samsung and the Sony now. Went to my local Empire Direct warehouse who had the Samsung for £599 - sold out. Went next door to Curry's who were price matching them at £594 - sold out. Bum sacks.

7. Trancemaster

Trancemaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know, got my Samsung LE32R73BDX yesterday and I can confirm that my NTSC Wii displays in full, glorious colour through the composite inputs, and doesn't look bad either. I now patiently await a set of component cables to hopefully improve things slightly.

Thanks for setting my mind at rest!