1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC Playback ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ricke, Jul 3, 2002.

1. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Quick question (hopefully)... if I want to playback region 1 DVDs (NTSC format ?) on a TV, I take it the TV needs to be NTSC compatible. Reading other threads, most of the new TVs seem to be, but can someone just confirm this ?

TIA

2. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, they have to be compatible.

3. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Comicman,

.....when I (finally) get my TV and DVD player would I need to change the connection method between DVD and TV if i wanted everytime I swap between a R1 and R2 DVD ? Or do i just keep the RGB connection connected all the time ?

TIA:D :D

4. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same connection method. Use a scart connection. I have a slight (yet annoying) problem with my R1 discs, you can see movement on the colours. I have posted a thread to find out what to do about this.

5. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Comicman, one item off my TV checklist then ;) ;)

6. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew if I thought about this too long it would get complicated.......

FACT: I need a NTSC compatible TV to play R1 DVDs

FACT: I don't need to reconnect TV/DVD when swapping between R1/R2 DVD

But,

Do I need to worry about matching the PAL or NTSC output mode of a DVD player to a the TV ?

I've seen some posts mention PAL(normal PAL) and PAL60 but am a bit confused..........can anyone shed a big light on this ?

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some DVD players will output both PAL60 and pure NTSC. PAL60 is like a "halfway" point between PAL and NTSC (a compromise conversion if you like). I don't know of any DVD players that do PAL60 but don't do NTSC as well. However, some players only output NTSC. I also haven't come across any TVs that handle NTSC but don't handle PAL60 (although I'm sure there probably are some), and most TVs handle NTSC, apart from the very low end ones. However, some TVs handle NTSC/PAL60 better than others and I think this is what you should worry about more! For example, Panasonic TVs are rather notorious on this forum for NTSC playback.

Finally, no you don't need to switch between PAL and NTSC on the DVD player - it will do it automatically. However, you may need to decide whether you want it to output PAL60 or NTSC (which I guess comes down to personal perference, although there are technical arguments for and against each of these).

Hope that helps. :)

8. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One hellava big light.....can't see any shadows !!! ;) ;)

So basically, I need to get a TV that handles NTSC and most likely it will support PAL60 as well and then when I get my DVD, I need to get one that supports PAL60 , which again will most likely support NTSC i.e. get something that supports everything....I get the gist of this now......
    :D :D

I'll check out the forum for Panasonic as these were on my short list of TVs

9. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You also need to have a DVD palyer that has rgb output which is what I have discovered on here today. This helps create a better picture for R1 NTSC discs, on a larger screen you will notice the drop in quality on R1, the colours are not as stable. An annoying little niggle but you want the picture to be right. I have just bought s-video leads for now until I decide to buy a new DVD player that supports RGB and counters the problem I have.

Everyone on here has been very helpful to point this out to me, I'll wait till I get home to see if see the difference.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup.

You should be able to double check if the TV supports PAL60 by checking the specs on the manufacturer's web site. Likewise with the DVD players.

I personally prefer a pure NTSC signal, which is what my Sony DVD player outputs (RGB only of course ;)). :)

11. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would suggest a TV that supports Pure NTSC playback and a DVD player that supports PAL & Pure NTSC (most) to make life easy.

As for the Panasonic issue, I personally love Panny gear, and have never had any issue with NTSC playabck.

What sort of problems have been reported?

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moire patterning mainly. Do a search for "Panasonic NTSC" or "Panny NTSC" etc for more details.