1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC playback through PAL TV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lunarfilm, Feb 14, 2005.

1. lunarfilm

lunarfilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little history: my system was US based (Toshiba 40H80, Toshiba SD6200 player), and so all my DVDs were Region 1 NTSC. Then I moved to the UK, but everything still worked fine with a voltage transformer. Unfortunately my 40H80 gave up the ghost, and would cost to repair about the same as it would cost to get a new one. Since my SD6200 is also in the shop (to provide an NTSC signal for them to diagnose the 40H80), I'm playing on a NTSC player that can convert its output to PAL. Not unexpectedly, when I play a NTSC DVD through this machine (whose output is set to PAL because I'm using a borrowed PAL TV), I have no colour issues, but I'm really getting judder on pans that I assume is an artefact of the coversion of frame rates. I haven't been able to test NTSC output, since the TV won't take it.

The question is, since I cannot watch movies like this, do I repair my NTSC TV and go for motion artefacts on the few PAL DVDs I have while having the majority of my DVD play right, or would a standards converter solve this? The other option is a TV like the Samsung SP42Q2, which offers 'NTSC playback'. I'm guessing that this method of conversion would be similar to that which occurs when I choose 'PAL' output from the player. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lunarfilm

2. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Generally TVs sold in the UK in the last few years will happily accept PAL60, that is NTSC with the colour carrier moved to PAL frequency with means that you should get no more motion judder than is present in the source since it is 60Hz field rate. Pure NTSC also works but often the colour is slightly 'wrong' with Reds shifted slightly into Orange, no doubt this due to some misaligned of the could decoder being optimised for PAL.

I would suggest you take a look at some Sony Trinitron based TVs as these are good for PAL60/NTSC due to strip pitch tude rather triad, when displaying PAL60/NTSC the scan lines are drawn further apart and the Trinitron allows this to be display without the moire patterning that occurs on triad type shadow mask.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,073
    TVs that can reproduce NTSC are common. Most can. And, when they do, they do it properly - without conversion. That's all you need. One of the (many) TVs that can handle NTSC via its AV inputs.

PAL60 is an alternative, but won't work directly with your US DVD player, so ignore it. It is a partial conversion, used as a workround by people with PAL-only TVs that just happen to be able to do 525 lines 60hz properly.