1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC playback on Sammy! Help! I'm back!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mistycat, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to purchase a devise that outputs NTSC. I have read the instructions for the sammy and was wondering if I had to change a setting to get it to take the NTSC signal or does it dfo it automatically? Does it switch automatically to NTSC from PAL or do I need to change it in the service settings? Help me please. Misty :clap:

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    the tv should swith itself? are you having problems playing back ntsc?

3. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have not used ntsc so far but I am being offered a stb that up converts to HD output in ntsc (made for US market). Box can take 220/240 volts so plugging it into a socket will work, but I was wondering how the tv would take the NTSC output when I plug it into the rgb or other inputs. What do you think?

cheers.

4. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    i dont think you will have any problem at all. The tv can accept a pal or ntsc signal so should be fine. :thumbsup:

how are you getting on with your tv? any faults to report or minor issues so far?

5. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing but I have noticed the age old fault of moisture getting under the screen. The Sammy Smudge! not really a problem. Sometimes occurs when I have the window open next to the tv and the temp drops greatly in the room and the breeze is blowing etc.

Do you think the upscaler would improve the pic greatly (in the direction of HD)?

M

6. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    how do u get rid of the smudge then? is it really noticeable? im not sure how much benefit the scaler will be and wether it will justify the additional cost. I would say if you are happy with the picture why change it :)

7. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want as close to hd that i can get. i have bought an upscaler dvd and this is v good. much better than normal. as for smudge. notice on pure white. rub with soft cloth and they move or go away. i have a couple at the moment but not really worried about them so have not wiped them off. will try in a minute to see what happens. barely noticeable.

m

8. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just gave the screen a rub and the marks are gone. It needed the dust removed anyway! good use of my sick leave! lol!

9. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think I would have a prob running sky+ through an upscaler?

10. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    i heard of a different forum that the smudges were due to delamination issues. not sure though. With the upscaler i would have thought that if the signal you put in is crap the upscaling it wouldnt make a different. With a dvd is different as the quality of dvds are already better that normal tv so upscaling wouldnt look bad at all. thats what i think anyway

11. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a good signal going in, so do you think this would improve the definition of the pq? This is what I am really after with an upscaler. Take Sk+ and by using an upscaler, improve the definition of the pq to almost HD.

12. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    im not sure, i would hate to say that it would and u buy it and it doesnt :confused: it would can borrow one from somewhere to see. Thats the best advice, see for yourself !

13. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fellow Sammy owners!!

I have a few smudges that come and go, but are only noticeable on clean white background, and even then only from low down angles. I have tried wiping away, some of them go and some don't.

This isn't really the biggest problem I have though... A few times now when I switch on the TV I get a barcode like picture. Lots of black and white vertical lines all over the screen. Now the guy on the front is smiling and you can hear the sound but picture does not come up. I then have to turn the TV off, power down and try turning it on again. Second or third attempt it starts ok. Anyone else experienced this?

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Could be a static build up. Have you tried pulling your set into the middle of the room and leaving it off for a few hours.

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your sammy is allready upscaling every source to 1280x720 & is probably making a very good job of it.

16. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    thats what i meant steve, getting a upscaler would be a waste of money in my opinion cos the sammy does it. buying a seperate one would defeat the object of buying a more expensive dlp