1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC playback on philips 42pf9966

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by acrmorris, Jul 5, 2005.

1. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, This is my first posting on this forum and I have tried to find a thread on the subject but cannot. If I am repeating anything, apologies, but please help anyway!
    I have a UK bought Philips 42pf9966 panel which does not seem to accept an NTSC video signal through any of the SCART sockets (sound but no picture). The DVD player (a Panasonic recorder but I can't remember the model number) works fine on NTSC region 1 when played through an old Panny Quintrix CRT and a Davis Cinema One projector, but the plasma doesn't seem to cope. Have I missed something really obvious or is there another way to feed the signal (S-VHS/DVI)? Any help is much appreciated. :lease: Oh, I am using one the freebie SCART leeds that came with the DVD player so almost certainly not 21 pin - 21 pin. Would that make a difference?

2. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although nobody replied, I did manage to fix the problem after paying a visit to a friendly plasma retailer down the Tottenham Court Road. It seems the plasma was fine all along, but I had to change the output on the DVD from PAL to NTSC. I have no idea why it didn't work on PAL setting, but region 1 and 2 DVDs in both PAL and NTSC formats now play with no problems :thumbsup: On a different note, and to anybody who will listen - Although in my opinion the Philips gives a very nice picture, plasma tech still has a long way to go to beat CRT for viewing pleasure. Maybe I am just being old fashioned, but even with digital bells and whistles turned on for movies you cannot get away from the clinical accuracy of plasma and the associated colour banding/solarisation. Roll on HD! Still looks great on the wall though!

3. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, sorry you did'nt get any response i've been away - but well done in finding the fix...... try movie mode with dvd s - not pp2 and see if you like the result. After you have run in your plasma, you will then enjoy the benefits of a higher contrast,etc and the banding will be a lot less. bst regards shugg

4. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    So whats the ambi light feature like? Care to take any pictures to show off your new set up? Any idea how the Philips compares with the other models of the same price out at the moment - there seems to be very little mention of Phillips on here, all panasonic and Hitachi........

5. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shugg, I am on movie mode now and it is easier to watch :smashin: . Don't know if it's an urban myth or not :confused: , but I'm also keeping the settings around 50 while the panel 'burns in' which means the pic is not as good as it will ultimately be. I am probably just being picky though because I only really see it now on very bright scenes with large areas of one dominant colour (skies and white walls particularly suffer). I want to avoid damaging it at all costs as I've now gone from the CRT/projector combo to the all-in-one solution. The ambilight is definitely more than just a gimmick, particularly since I tend to watch movies more than anything else. The tube noise from the ambilight is audible, but only in VERY quiet scenes and Philips aren't joking when they say it is more relaxing to watch. Don't expect miracles from ambilight in daylight though! I personally rate the package very highly. I know the forums rave about other panels, but I did spend a long time looking at different models before settling on the Philips and I am more than happy with it even when I compare it now to the very latest models. I will post some pics, but warn you that my set up will never see the Home Cinema feature pages for skill of installation! :D

6. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    happy to help :D also i like the ambi light too - it takes a little strain off the eyes..... also for widescreen movies use super zoom, as you can use your remote up/down to move the postbox to your own taste! try to resist upping the brightness for 2/3 months (you have probably noticed the screen adjusts for the room's lighting so the banding,etc is worse in the dark, but its worth it for the long run.)
    This forum is more of an enthusiasts place, so they are more into separates and the final quality after IFE optimisation will be better, but the phillips is a very good, user friendly one box option (just don't bother with scalers/IFE you won't get much of an improvement foir the money - see other threads on the forum) :lesson: :devil: shugg