1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ntsc/pal

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dude, Feb 13, 2003.

1. dude

dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Harmon Kardon DVD25 and have noticed that when i change between PAL and NTSC that there is a difference in the brightness level. Is this normal or is it my player??? If it is normal how is then it possible to get the the correct setting (with a test DVD).

:confused:

2. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dude,
    Does your display device have different video memories for PAL and NTSC? If so, you will need to set up each one individually.
    I'm not familiar with the HK DVD 25, but It could also be that you have some sort of black level adjustment turned on which is affecting NTSC, but not PAL.
    These are just thoughts.

Cheers,

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brightness does differ a little between PAL and NTSC as do most settings, with colour differing the most drastically.

As WSquared says, unless your display has separate settings for PAL and NTSC, you will either:

have to note down the calibrated settings for PAL and NTSC and set them each time you switch between PAL and NTSC sources,

or

live with a compromise between the two.

More thoughts, thrown on top of WSquared's thoughts :)

4. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is usually a difference in 'Brightness' between NTSC and PAL. The Brightness control on a TV sets the level of black on the screen and will have to be adjusted to get a correct image as the voltage level of Black is different for NTSC and PAL.

In PAL television (and Japanese NTSC) the voltage level of black is 0V, in NTSC the value of Black is 7.5IRE or about 50mV. So if there is no change in control settings between NTSC and PAL, the NTSC picture's Blacks will appear lighter than those in a PAL image.

To get a consistent setting between NTSC and PAL, the NTSC Black level should be altered to give a 0IRE black level. Many players (but not all) will have a setting for Black level and may refer to it as 0IRE or 7.5IRE, or Black and Super Black, or some other 'marketing' speak.

Hope this helps!