1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ntsc / pal

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cdave, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was looking at a dvd comaprison site (michaeldvd) and notice that for several films it suggests getting the pal version as the transfer would be better. Is this a well known fact or personal opinion of the writer?

I notice on American Pie 2 r1 that the picture is not particularly bright. Thought it was just the film, can't say I have noticed it on others but at this time do not have a lot to go by. Would be useful to know for future orders when deciding on DTS etc.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Controversial subject as everyone has their own opinion on which is better, personally i tend to buy NTSC because a film shown at the cinemas which has an original running time of 107 minutes will last 107 minutes on region 1 DVD or Region 2 Japanese DVD((both NTSC )) and future proofed as i believe if i ever upgrade my equipment to progressive the region 1 discs will all work perfectly but region 2 will not.

Some will argue that PAL has more lines and thus a better picture but try comparing the picture quality of a major release on region 1 and 2 and they look pretty identical most of the time.