NTSC, PAL, Regeion 1,2 or 3

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Swordfish, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Swordfish

Swordfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Hi all I would be greatful if someone could explain to me the benefits of buying a film in different formats or regions! I have an NTSC compatible TV and a multi-region DVD player so would be keen to know what I am missing out on as my collection so far consists of region 2 only!

Thanks

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh my ! thats a question with a lot of answers. Most of us are trying to find the best version of a movie. That may be the one with the best picture quality, a particular sound format, a certain cut of the film, the one with the best added features, or occasionally all of the above. We will therefore try to compare and contrast these features from different regions and select the offering that best suits our needs. There is no simple answer such as region 1 is best,or PAL is superior, so we try to find a disc that best suits our requirements.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    if you're an average dvd user, ie you don't really notice much difference between your dolby 5.1 and DTD 5.1, and you can't tell what bitrate the video stream is just by looking, then your reasons for buying other region dvd's would usually fall under the following:

Price: Region 3 DVD's (from cdwow.co.uk) and Region 1 DVD's (from dvdsoon.com) are sometimes as much as half the price of region 2 DVD's.

Release dates: Region 1 DVD's typically come out a few months before Region 2 DVD's, and Region 3 DVD's come out even sooner in some cases. In some cases, such as Gothika, there can be a tremendous wait, with the foreign region DVD's coming out before the film even makes it to the cinema in the UK!

Availability: There are many films available on Region 1 or Region 3 DVD's that either are not available in the UK, or are available but are on a nasty budget 4:3, Dolby pro logic DVD with no features, which no collector in their right mind wants!

Extras: Several Region 2 DVD publishers are very lazy when it comes to extras. It's not so bad now, but in the past a region 1 DVD would normally have a lot more features than the region 2 version.

However a reason i do prefer Region 2 over Region 1 is packaging. Region 2 DVD's quite often come in digipaks which look very nice in the collection, but the majority of Region 1 DVD's come in standard keep cases.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,053
    A good source of comparitive information is at www.dvdcompare.net . They offer advice as to which version is best based on factors such as:

- lack of censorship cuts
    - extras
    - anamorphic
    - presence of DTS (or of other 5.1 in preference to 2.0 soundtracks)
    - etc....

but notably NOT on whether PAL or NTSC (because they, quite rightly IMO, don't consider this to be a material factor).

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'll always drop by DVDCompare before picking up a DVD to find out if it's got inferior sound, less features, or has been censored. (an annoying issue in this country)

If all regions are the same, I'll just go for the cheapest.

But every now and then I'm surprised. For instance, my R3 copy of Zatoichi has beautiful cover art. The R2 version just being released looks like crap compared to it, IMO.

6. Swordfish

Swordfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Thanks for all your replys, that's just the sort of answers I was looking for!

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My main criteria is censorship, or rather, lack of it. I would rather have a film uncut, but with no DTS or extras, than have the BBFC tell me what I should and shouldn't see. In most cases, this means choosing R1, but there are times when R1's are censored for sexual content, when R2's remain uncut. As has been said above, it really is a question which can only be answered for each individual film, and www.dvdcompare.net is usually my first port of call when deciding which region of a DVD to purchase.

8. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I don't think it's entirely fair to blame just the BBFC for cuts. In many cases the distributors cut the films to get a 12 or 15 certifiate in order to increase their available market. We could have had 'The Matrix' uncut on R2 if Warners had been happy to release it as an 18. It is of course the BBFC who decide what makes a 12 or a 15 though. They are particularly sensitive to kids emulating films in the school yard.

9. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It just allows me to save money - I have no interest in the extras usually so R1 & 3's are a source of cheap films. Occasionally I get a poor transfer but looking at the comparision sites will reduce these instances. I allway buy NTSC 4:3 films so the native format of my projector allows the picture to sit within my widescreen, screen.

Paul

10. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    And what did they cut? Morpheus getting shot? NO! Neo falling off a skyscraper? NO! The crew getting shot up by Cypher? NO! They cut out several headbutts...

Actually there's an episode of Buffy where they don't cut someone having their eyes stabbed out, but they cut Giles hotwiring his own car.

The BBFC should get their priorities straight!

11. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As I hinted at, I think the BBFC are more concerned with kids seeing things which they may copy in the schoolyard than with graphic displays of 'fantasy' violence. I'm not really defending them, but this is where they're coming from

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't believe Fellowship of the Ring got a PG rating with a head being lopped off and a headbutt included ( fantasy or not its pretty graphic for a PG ) yet they cut Spiderman 2 and Shrek 2 because of fantasy headbutts, the BBFC are a strange bunch of people.

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ....which is why I generally prefer R1s, as stated in my post above. :) What was the thing with the R2 Eraser (Arnie)? Didn't they cut out the whole train crash sequence at the end of the movie? :rolleyes: :confused:

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,053
    From Rewind (re Eraser):

This film has been cut by 3:22 minutes:
    The cinema release flopped in the UK so the distributor opted for a 15 release. The BBFC felt that they had removed the sadistic edge from most of the violence and revealed a good action thriller which proved to have far greater audience appeal.
    -In the opening sequence where Kruger rescues Johnny C, 17s of punches were removed along with the post punch dialogue: Get me some ice, I think I broke my goddam hand.
    -Also in the opening scene, a scene with a bound & gagged woman being doused with petrol has been removed. Also a thug with a petrol can saying Sure boss has been deleted.
    -A close up a a man in a noose being lifted up has been cut.
    -A scene where they attempt to remove Johnny's tongue was cut along with the line: See if it sings on its own
    -4s cut where Kruger breaks a mans neck in a fridge door.
    -1s missing of a scene which has a close up of Kruger as he pumps a second bullet into the body of the dead bad guy to frame them.
    -As the hero ignites the pretrol on the floor, the sight of the flames engulfing a corpse has gone.
    -3s cut in William Donough's office. He points the gun at Lee and shouts "You have no f*****g idea". In the 15 video all that remains is "You".
    -In William Donough's office, 1s is cut where he puts the gun into his mouth and fires. Also, the close up of the man with blood coming out of his mouth.
    -Close up of man with a blade in his neck after Kruger stabs him through the door is missing.
    -We fail to see the guy he then kills flying through the air into a wall.
    -In the video, we see Samaritan hold his witness and appear to smother her. It should show Samaritan shoot her and then pretend to give her mouth to mouth resuscitation as she dies.
    -Samaritan actually shoots Monroe twice, one of those shots has been cut.
    -Inside the alligator park, the first bad guy gets an arm ripped off.
    -The hero pursues and pistol whips a SWAT man which we dont see
    -The villain grabs and woman and pistol whips her, we don't see this
    -Neither do we see the hero erase the swat team in a lift by removing the pins from a SWAT man's belt and then throwing him down the shaft.
    -3s cut when Kruger runs out to see the helicopter fly away. In the NSTC Laserdisc, he punches a man and breaks his neck.
    -A Russian guard is seen slapping a woman...or rather isn't
    -In the shipyard, 4s is missing when Kruger finishes off two guards after an impressive aerial acrobatics display.The impact shot of a third man being shot and thrown through a window has gone
    -A close up of a knife blade used to threaten a woman has gone
    -1s missing when Lee kicks her Russian captor in the face after escaping.
    -The hero gets the upper hand but we dont see the impact shot of three men being thrown into the air along with gun shots and impacts
    -1s missing when Sall shoots a bad guy in the eye. We should see a close up of the man falling back without an eye.
    -The villain's pistol blow to the woman has gone along with gunfire and impacts in the gun battle around the crane
    -4s are cut from the fight between Kruger and Samaritan, when Samaritan hits Kruger with an iron bar.
    -45s The train ploughs into the car but we don'tsee the Baddies screaming and thumping as they try to escape. Kruger stands and watches and when it is over but we dont see the satisfied look on his face nor do wee the smoking car wreck in the ruins of the train.