1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC -> PAL DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aditya, Apr 28, 2005.

1. aditya

aditya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

Need a multiregion DVD player which can convert NTSC to PAL as my TV only plays PAL. I have a receiver with the 'pure direct' mode, so it would be good if the player is good at playing CDs too. After going through the forums, I thought the Limit DVDA900SE was perfect for me.

But I think the Limit player does not do the NTSC>PAL conversion. Can someone who owns the Limit please confirm?

Any other suggestions on players and places to buy ? Pioneer 575 . . . . . :confused: budget upto 100 quid . .

Thanks for oyur help !!

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Just bought a Pio 575 for my younger brother, £99 multi-region from Richer Sounds. Looked very good via RGB SCART & has nice +'s such as the ability to play SACD etc.

ALI

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I have the same problem, I use a HTPC to get round this problem with a program called powerstrip. If you dont fancy a pc in your lounge then I have read that the pioneer 575 will do the trick for you. Also look at the JVC dvd players as they have a NTSC to PAL feature. :smashin:

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I have the same problem, I use a HTPC to get round this problem with a program called powerstrip. If you dont fancy a pc in your lounge then I have read that the pioneer 575 will do the trick for you. Also look at the JVC dvd players as they have a NTSC to PAL feature. :smashin:

Oh and welcme to the forums :hiya:

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    You'll have no worries with the Limit. It can convert NTSC to PAL no problems at all. I am 100% certain mine does this anyway and theres no reason why another wouldn't. NTSC to PAL conversion is a fairly common feature. The Limit is also a rare beast that plays Audio CDs very well. Note audio cd playback requires a dvd player with a stable psu and stable consistant rotation speed of the cd. This is something the Limit excels at. Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD Audio and SACD (Not 100% sure of SACD I have to admit) all use packets of compressed audio data to decode and so can cope better with speed variations of the dvd drive where as audio cds are old technology and are directly converted in realtime from the pits on the cd to electrical information. This is why some cheap dvd players can do DTS and Dolby Digital quite well but are absolutely hopeless with audio cds. The Pioneer 575 I'm assured is pretty hopeless with audio cds even though it can do DD/DTS and other formats quite well. It seems that any dvd player based on a mediatek chipset is hopeless with audio cds and so far there doesn't appear to be any exceptions. The Limit is based on a Zoran Vaddis chipset as used by high end Arcams which are known to excel at audio cd playback.

Yes I'm a big fan of the Limit. Also the Pioneer looks like a cheap load of rubbish in comparsion to the Limit. However the Pioneer does add divx/xvid and SACD playback feature wise and has improved MP3 compatibility.

However the Limit is super stable and has amazing DD/DTS and DVD Audio sound quality and very detailed and clean audio cd quality. The picture quality is stunning on my AE100 projector in NTSC mode (my projector isn't too hot at doing PAL).

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    I have a Pioneer 470 and it runs NTSC DVDs in PAL50hz quite well. As for Audio CD playback, I dont have any CDs but my sister is always listening to her's through the player and has never said it sounded rubbish.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I think the only difference beteen the 470 and 575 is audio playback. :)

8. aditya

aditya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the advice, Bonzobanana !! It was really nice to see a detailed opinion.
    I had also shortlisted the Limit player to be my player of choice, but also wrote to the Limit UK helpdesk, just to be sure and this is what I got back yeaterday -

"Hi Aditya,
    Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, you'll need a TV capable of
    displaying NTSC in order to watch R1 DVDs on the DVDA900SE.
    Best regards,
    Limit UK

Contact Us Form
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Enquiry : Hi,
    I was interested in buying the Limit DVDA900SE player but my TV
    supports
    only PAL signals. So, my question is whether the DVD player will
    convert
    NTSC signal into PAL 60?
    Thanks,
    - Aditya"

This has really confused me. Do u own the DVDA900SE and have tried out outputting in PAL? Can anyone who has the exact setup please help?

and Thanks for the warm welcome !!

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I'm not sure where you are coming from here. You first asked if it would convert NTSC to PAL and it does. You then ask Limit if it converts NTSC to PAL 60 which it doesn't. You have asked two different questions and you have two answers that are both correct.

10. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Philips DVP 520 (available from Sainsburys and Currys, and probably other places as well!)

It is £50, and I know for a fact it plays NTSC discs on a PAL only tv as I have one in my bedroom and it isn't a bad little player either!

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Just to expand on my point above;

PAL 60 is where a PAL chroma signal is mapped on to a NTSC luminance signal. It enables televisions that can not process a NTSC chroma signal to show colour 60hz images via s-video and composite. If you connect your dvd player via RGB you don't need PAL 60 normally.

If you convert NTSC to PAL you can play NTSC movies even on a tv that can't sync at all to the 60hz frame rate of NTSC images. It actually heavily processes the NTSC source to create a slower frame rate compatible with any uk tv.

12. aditya

aditya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

sorry for my ignorance but thanks for pointing in the right direction.

I actually asked them for the PAL60 because my existing DVD player converts NTSC to PAL 60 and this works on my TV. However, now I have checked my TV's manual and it says that both PAL 50 and 60 are suported. So I guess, the Limit should be able to work fine, right? Can someone please confirm?

Nicholas, 50 pounds does seem to be a very good price. Thanks, I'll check it out !

Thanks for all your help, guys !!

Attached Files:

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Pal 60 is better than full PAL conversion of NTSC material. However if your tv can sync to PAL 60 can't you just use a RGB scart lead with the limit and bypass the whole chroma process anyway. Normally most tvs that can handle 60hz work with RGB scart NTSC material anyway. Whatever happens the Limit will be able to play your NTSC dvds on your tv whether in original 60hz mode via scart RGB or converted to 50hz PAL. I've never ever needed PAL 60 on any of the tvs I own as they all have worked either natively with NTSC images or via scart RGB.

Hope the information is of help.

14. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a Yamaha DVD-S550 upstairs, it does the PAL/NTSC conversion or you can leave it to multi. I don't use it much but it seems fine, plays picture discs and Divx if you need it.
    I paid £100 from Superfi around New Year.

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    almost every dvd player on sale in the UK can produce PAL60 from NTSC
    those that can't are able to convert to PAL50 from NTSC (mediatek chipset)

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Normally this conversion isnt done very smoothly and judder can rear its ugly head.

:D