NTSC -> PAL conversion

slingshot

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought my sister some Region 1 DVD's for Xmas, however looks like her TV doesn't support NTSC, she get's a stable B&W image but no colour.

Looked at Keene and they have a composite NTSC to PAL converter for 50 quid, but is there any cheaper option for her ?

Cheers

Slingshot

Are you sure it's not that the player is outputing an S-Video signal and the TV is expecting a composite signal?

Try www.maplin.co.uk, in Sound & Vision - Audio Video Cables & Accessories - Video Accessories, you will find an NTSC - PAL convertor for £29.99 in the sale. Only at that price for 3 more days so, if you want it, you'll need to get a move on!

HTH,

_

Before you buy any external hardware, make sure the DVD player doesn't have an onboard PAL converter. This will be accessed via either a switch on the back panel (labelled eg. NTSC/PAL/Auto) or a similar entry in the player's setup menu. Set it to PAL (not Auto).

I had a similar problem, and found that my player was converting the NTSC to PAL 6O. When I set the player to "output NTSC as NTSC", the TV converted it fine.

Also check if the player outputs RGB - switching to this will bypass any concerns with NTSC colour support and the need for a converter - and it'll provide a better pic.

Stuart

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom