Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NTSC/PAL Compatibility

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by cedenoe, Apr 22, 2005.

1. cedenoe

cedenoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    I have what would probably end up being somewhat of a dumb question, but here it goes.
    I have DVDs and VHS tapes both in NTSC and PAL formats, and the regions are mostly 1 and 2 but I have some 5 as well.
    I am in the process of evaluating new components to upgrade my system which now is:
    SONY TV - MultiSystem NTSC/PAL/SECAM
    Yamaha Receiver (1996 model)
    PIONEER DVD Player -Multisystem NTSC/PAL/SECAM

I see some models for receivers as well as preamp/processors that state they will do both NTSC and PAL, which is what I want, but since I am pretty sure that my current Yamaha is not Multisystem, I am just wondering how important is the Multisystem feature in a receiver or processor? Am I missing something here? Or is it just used for actual TV Signals?

By the way, I do not have TV service, have not watched TV since 1994 and do not plan to ever watch TV, at least in the US since you basically spend 20 minutes of every hour of programming watching commercials.
    My system is used exclusively for movie reproduction and currently it is connected through S-VHS for the DVD player and one of my VCRs.

Can someone set me straight? Thanks

Enrique J. Cedeno :lease:

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    On the proceesor/receiver it is really irrelevant, what ever you put in will come out the same.
    It is really only for the on screen set up menus, so if you have a pal only or ntsc only monitor you can set the menus to match.

Oh and welcome to the forum Enrique. :hiya:

3. cedenoe

cedenoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    Great to be in the forum.
    Again, thanks

Enrique :)

4. AVC

AVC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can be important if the Processor or Receiver up convert the signal from say composite or s-vhs to component as many receivers are doing this now.

Some ( not all) especially processors can only handle one system, either PAL or NTSC and in this case you might have some problems.
    I noticed that some companies have 2 versions of their processor one for the US market and another for the European market and the main difference was the system compatibility in the up convert.

Usual when the signal in same as signal out it wont effect it.