1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC or PAL?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Desk, Dec 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Stupid newbie time, but as someone who aspires to eventually own a CRT projector could someone tell me if I'd be better buying my DVDs in NTSC or Pal?

I know that Pal has the higher resolution, but will NTSC's failings be a big drawback when I throw the image onto a screen, even with a line-doubler?

BTW, I've yet to get a demonstration of a CRT projector in action. As I'm aiming to eventually get a Barco 800 series machine can someone maybe comment on how it holds up in comparison to the average cinemagoing experience?

Many, many thanks,

Desk

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Desk,

a properly set up CRT will blow away an average cinema going experience. I have a BarcoG808s which was fitted with new tubes and it is just jaw droppingly good. I rarely visit the cinema anymore.

The other question is best answered on the DVD forum. It all depends on how good the transfer was when the disc was mastered. PAL is not always better even if it does have more lines. Some NTSC discs will blow the PAL versions out of the water.

Darren

3. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm with Rigman on this one, many NTSC DVD's are better than their pal equivelants, and this includes the sound quality too.

CRT projectors should be able to handle both Pal and NTSC, so at the end of the day it is really up to personal preference.;)

4. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not being technical I tend to lurk but not reply that much but this is one question that I can comment on from personal experience at the "user end" as it were.

As regards picture quality versus cinema I can only tell the story of how my wife and I went to see Lord of the Rings at the local fleapit. As we came out my wife said "Never again."

"I thought it was a pretty good film." said I.

"Oh the film was excellent." she replied. "It's just that it is better all round in our home cinema."

Now pay attention punters! What incredible system do we have that is Sooooo much better? Merely a £400 Videologic DTS sound system (which most of the posters here would laugh out of the forum) a Barco 801 which I bought from Roland which he said was by no means the tip top CRT available and the screen is just a rectangle of white paint with black painted wood edges glued to the wall.

Of all the posters here I probably have the humblest setup yet even at this level all who visit for a film evening agree that the picture is superior, the sound is amazing (because you are optimally placed in the centre of the sound field) and they far prefer it to a trip to the local cinema.

It has to be said: Thanks Roland. You did me proud. You also showed why CRT fans are not mucking about when they say DLP or LCD are non-starters in comparison.

Now to your other question: One feature of the "DVD apartheid" which region encoding inflicts upon us all (or tries to is that is :D ) is a disgraceful divergence in quality. Although PAL has more lines in practice it tends not to make THAT much difference. On some Disney cartoons I have noticed it because of the large areas of colour. PAL CAN be slightly better but not enough to be an issue. DVDs produced for the American market are often vastly superior in mastering which compensates. NTSC has a faster refresh rate too and can be progressive scan.

In general I wouldn't worry.

5. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I've got to say that reading your experiences has made me even more excited at the prospect of having my own CRT home cinema set-up.

Rigman, if it blows away your average cinema-going experience then I'm in for a real treat, as my local one-screen flea pit is seemingly stuck forever in the 1970s. Hope it's okay if I seek your advice at some point in the future? I'm in Scotland too, waiting to make a move once I see where the property market's going, and unsure of who might be able to install a projector north of the border.

It's good to see everyone getting so much out of their CRT set-ups, and to know I don't need to worry about the format I'm buying DVDs in for future viewing.

I've been lurking here for a while and this is only my first time posting to the CRT section, but it's great to have such a welcoming, helpful forum with a strong sense of community.

Cheers, guys.

Desk

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No problem desk just ask away whenever you are ready.

Darren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.