1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ntsc Or Pal

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bornlippy01, Nov 13, 2004.

1. bornlippy01

bornlippy01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI thinking of buying Panasonic NV-GS200 in the states, but I was wondering if i brought the NTSC version PV-GS200 would if work here on my PC? (i know my TV & DVD are NTSC compat so thats not a prob), Also will the PAL version be better recording/playback Quality than NTSC?

Many Thanks
    xx

2. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy the NTSC version. NTSC is inferior to PAL (fewer lines, more innacurate colour system), and you will for ever be running into compatibility problems. Everything sold in the UK is biased towards, optimized for, or only compatible with PAL, so stick with PAL.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    With regards the first part of your question. Your PC won't care whether it's PAL or NTSC, it will happily deal with both.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    And with regards to your VCR. The chances are that unless you have a very expensive multistandards VCR it will not be able to record an NTSC signal. Most modern VCR's available in the UK these days can play NTSC recordings, but they will be at a far lower quality as the VCR is doing the conversion internally and will not do a great job. The chances are that the picture will be quite noisey due to the conversion. But if you need to put you footage onto a VHS tape for somebody then you are as I said very unlikely to be able to so from an NTSC camcorder onto a PAL VCR.

Mark.

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Must take slight 'issue' with 'Origin'. Nitpicking I know but in a 'studio' environment in many ways NTSC is superior to PAL - more accurate colour analysis and rendition of colours - PAL is cut down from NTSC in this respect. However, I agree 100% that once it is transmitted via analogue then it can indeed be awful. Regards, yt.