1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC or PAL-60

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr.Rock, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Which is the best way for watching NTSC (Region-1) DVD's?

My TV can take both NTSC and PAL-60 input signals. Likewise, for watching NTSC films, my DVD player allows me to select either the raw NTSC output or the converted PAL-60 output. My TV can display either streams, but which is better?

Thanks.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you try them both and then tell us!;)

DaveP

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    Frankly, there is probably little difference. Except that, maybe, your TV is set up more precisely for PAL than NTSC so possibly the colour rendition will be better. Or vice versa, perhaps. Or maybe it is equally capable at both.

So, the answer to your question is:

1) If you can't tell the difference, don't worry about it.
    2) If you can, and one looks better to you, on your TV, than the other, use it.

4. marqueedehome

marqueedehome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That depends how well your DVD-player performs the NTSC/PAL standard conversion since the number of video lines is changed. If you plan to use NTSC disc like AVIA to calibrate your display, I would definitely recommend the original picture standard. I can easily tell the difference between ntsc to pal60 conversion vs original format with most of common dvd-players.

marqueedehome

5. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marqueedome -

There is no conversion of frame rate or number of lines when 'converting' NTSC to PAL60 - the only thing that is changed is the way the colour is encoded. there should be little difference between the two on most combinations, as mentioned before.

The conversion between NTSC and 'true' PAL (i.e.converting 525/60 to 625/50 or vice versa) is certainly noticable and is a very bad thing!

The terminology used for variations on the basic terms varies but generally the following should be true.

PAL - implies 4.43MHz colour, with 625lines at 50Hz

NTSC - implies 3.58MHz, 525 lines 59.94Hz

PAL60 - implies 4.43MHz, 525 lines 59.94Hz (usually on DVD players)

PAL-M - implies 3.58MHz, 525 lines, 59.94Hz but alternating chroma phase as used in PAL (used in Brazil)

PAL-N - implies 3.58MHz, 625 lines 50Hz but alternating chroma phase as used in PAL (used in Argentina)

NTSC4.43 - implies 4.43MHz, 525lines 59.94Hz but with no alternating chroma phase (also a VHS type output)

SECAM - implies FM colour, 625 lines 50Hz

Also to add to the fun 3.58MHz varies slightly (but significantly) between NTSC, PAL-M and PAL-N !