1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC on PAL only TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karaokeklive, May 8, 2001.

1. karaokeklive

karaokeklive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas on the cheapest multiregion DVD player that will play NTSC discs on a PAL only TV.

Thanks
    Clive

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to find if your TV is only PAL50 or if it can handle PAL60.

If the picture at present is good but in in black and white then it can handle PAL 60, I got a box to handle this problem from Alfaglade, have a good look around the forums for similar postings where I put the cost and web page. I think it was just under £70, good yhing is it does secam as well and gets rid of macrovision (so you can record films from cable or satalite).

Piccy & specs at

I bought mine from Alfaglade 0161 794 7625

76.77 inc vat and delivery

If your tv shows scrolling bars then you need something to convert the scan rate, I think you should budget around £300 for that, at that price you may as well push the boat out and get a new TV.

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: Fartpants ]

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Check if your TV allows RGB via Scart. If, get a DVD player with RGB and connect with a fully wired Scart lead - voila, NTSC in color.
    IMHO only a very few DVD players can convert to PAL50, I think Samsung and some Hitachi model(s).

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    smc 33O CONVERTS PAL TO NTSC AND NTSC TO PAL
    ALSO HAS VOLTAGE OF 110V AND 240V
    ????
    HOPE THIS HAS HELPED :D

5. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are 2 issues here the scan rate and the color encoding.

NTSC is 60Hz Pal is 50Hz (not 100% precise I know), if your TV can not handle 60 hz and you pump a 60Hz sigmal in you see horizontal scrolling lines. The cost of a box of tricks to sort that out for you is about £300.

Next the color bit, you may then find you get a nice picture in black and white, that will require a little box that will cost about £70, so better than above.

Although scart may help some TVs may not have a RGB input so if they are only accepting a composite picture you will get the black and white picture.

I have not tried this RGB stuff yet, as it is a bank holiday comming up I will connect my cheapo bedroom TV that does 60Hz PAL but not NTSC to my Sony CX850D and play a NTSC disc.

I do not know what frequency RGB works at, although I assume it is 60Hz for NTSC and 50 for Pal I could be wrong. If I am right and your tele only takes 50Hz you would still need a £300 box.

There are a few players that output NTSC discs as PAL50, if you need 50Hz or are unsure you need to take certain steps. For example my Proline 1000 outputs in PAL60, this will not play ntsc discs on my old tele in the second bedroom because it only accepts 50Hz signals.

If you are ordering a multi-region box make the vendor aware in writing that you are unsure about your TVs capabillity, give them the model number and confirm that the player you are ordering is compatable with your TV. That way if it don't work you will find it easier to get a refund.

Regards

The fat bloke

6. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK here is the results of my test.

TV 1 = Sony Widescreen
    TV 2 = NEI with scart
    TV 3 = Old Hitachi with 7 pin DIN (I have a lead with scart at the other end.

DVD 1 = Sony CX850D
    DVD 2 = Proline 1000

The RGB scart socket on the CX850D was used

When using PAL discs all combinations work.

When using NTSC discs the following result
    DVD 1 2
    TV
    1 COL COL
    2 B/W COL
    3 Broken picture

So just coz your tele has a scart don't assume. Also I am still not sure what happens if both devices have RGB scarts but the DVD outputs 60Hz to a TV that only accepts 50Hz. I would expect a broken picture.

I am sure the NEI is not an RGB set.