1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC on latest crop of Pannys / Tosh - any problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lighty, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    hi

i am just about to buy my first dvd recorder....

i have a mixture of R1 & R2 discs - about 60 / 40, and would like to know if there are any issues with R1 discs.....jerky pans etc

(just snapped up a jvc tha75 all in one for surround sound from RS - noticed jerkiness in R1 pans - sonething to do with 50 / 60 Hz ?? - won't use it if dvd recorder has prog scan though !!)

Priorities are -

1. good analogue signal for TV
    2. Prog scan for dvd / etc - i am going to buy a prog scan lcd - probably a 26 inch
    3. wife friendly use!
    4 Occasional camcorder editing with a bit of pc swapover

thanks guys

i'm almost set on a toshiba xs32 reading the comments on here .........

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I can't comment on the Tosh but can confirm that the Panny E95 does all that you want - prog scan, easy to use, DV input. I haven't noticed any problems with R1 discs, but I suggest that you take a disc along to a retailer and ask if you can try it out.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh won't record NTSC.
    If the current Panasonic range is the same as their earlier ones,I'm sure many users would be surprised to realise that Panny outputs NTSC in PAL 60,not pure NTSC.Enabling that requires altering the tv system setting,but that needs changing back when recording PAL.Its worth noting that even if you leave the machines(of all makes) on PAL,while playing an NTSC disc,you won't be able to record in PAL.Annoying if you use your recorder for viewing aswell.