1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC HD on a PWD7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steve_Whelan, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know that the HDMI for the PWD7 will not accept a 720/1080 @ 50HZ signal So PAL based HD is a non starter. But would it be possible to use an imported Blue Ray or HD-DVD deck and use American NTSC discs. I live in a Rural conservation area we are not allowed satalite dishes and are not served by cable and are not likely to be, So HDTV is a non issue but would like acces to HD material, I have usesdMicrosoft HD demos and in my opion HD looks stuning on my screen (all be it down scaled to native res) so i know that HD is possible on this screen.

2. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    You may not be allowed a dish but you should look into the dishes that are covered in fibreglass that make them look like rocks. Or those that look like old fashioned street lights with a globe on the top.

3. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Steve, I have no idea of your home and garden layout, but you are aware that you could simply plant the dish in your garden somewhere very low down, away from the house? You could then bury the cable in the run up to the house itself.

Just a thought and you may have already considered it.

4. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve

You may also want to consider an HDMI/DVI to vga converter. They are more and more available and many would say that the analogue input on the 7 series is better than the digital. I run one through to a phd7 and prefer the picture to the direct HDMI - solves the 50Hz issue as the panny accepts just about everything you throw at its analogue ports.

5. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes but i belive the majority of of HD material will use HDCP and you need HDMI for that.

6. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In theory yes, in practice no !

The HDCP encryption is already being cracked around the world. Some blatantly flout the law, but many are using the VGA option and saying it is for PC use which is not covered by HDCP licence. Whether this holds true or not I know not!

Either way - there are devices around that strip HDCP and ship out on analogue - I have one in front of me ! ...works very well.

:) :) :)

Also worhty of note is the fact that SKY have already said that the first generation of SKY HD boxes will ship out HD on component for all their channels - including SKY movies and football.

7. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To get back too my first question does anyone know if ntsc HD will work.