1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC DVDs on Sony DVPNS730??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bigweed, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am buying the above DVD player soon, and was wondering what the quality of NTSC DVDs is like when played on it? Is there any difference in PQ between PAL and NTSC DVDs? Also, is there any difference in NTSC and PAL prog scan?

Also, does my TV need to be able to accept an NTSC signal, or does it not matter as long as the DVD player can play it?

Cheers

Bigweed

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    NTSC discs play perfectly on the player, but I can't comment on the ProgScan ability.

Your TV will need to play NTSC feeds though.

I'd take a good look at Pioneer's new DV-575A player though....

3. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Pioneer in the same price range as the Sony?

Also, what is its performance like compared to the Sony, in terms of PQ mainly, if you have any info on that??

Is there any mag reviews of it, as I cant find any??

Cheers

Bigweed

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    The Pioneer has just come out and can be had for £130 delivered, multi-region.

There aren't any magazine reviews yet that I've seen, but What Hi-Fi are carrying one in their new issue due out on 8th July.

I compared the 575 to the Sony 930 (same as the 730 but with SACD) and it's easily its equal with RGB pictures. The Pioneer is quicker around menus, but the Sony is better built.

Both are excellent machines, and I switched as a cheap way into DVD-Audio. I'm particularly impressed with the SACD and DVD-A performance of the Pioneer as well.

5. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for the reply Radiohead. Can you tell me what the Pioneer is like compared to the Sony 930 in terms of NTSC and PAL prog scan? Also I read on the Pioneer website that the Pioneer has 2:3 pulldown processing. Does this mean that the Pioneer will play NTSC DVDS with a better PQ than the Sony?

You have nearly managed to convince me into getting the Pioneer over the Sony!! Does the Pioneer have anything that the Sony does not have which makes the Pioneer a better purchase? Also, what made you choose the Pioneer over the Sony?

Cheers

Bigweed

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I don't have a ProgScan capable display, so I can't advise on that aspect I'm afraid. Nor do I know enough about the pulldown to talk with any confidence about that.

I'd suggest demoing both players to be honest. I went for the 575 because it'll play anything I can throw at it, and there are a few DVD-Audio discs I'm after. I also have 6 or 7 SACD discs, so that was important.

The Sony 930 was, and is, an excellent player. I haven't demo'd a 730, but I understand that to be exactly the same player as the 930, albeit without SACD and a slightly less impressive level of build quality (which is excellent on the 930).

To be honest, you should try both if you can and get the one you're happiest with.

7. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, your TV will need to be able to accept an NTSC signal otherwise you'll be left with a black and white picture. You're also going to need a prog scan compatible TV/display if you are intending to make use of the prog-scan output from whatever player you decide on...