NTSC DVDs on old TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobones, Feb 21, 2002.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a multiregion Toshiba 210E and a 10 yr old Toshiba 28" 4:3 TV which is not multi-standard as far as I know. Will I be able to watch Region 1 NTSC dvds on my TV?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Most TV´s whilst not true multistandard can display NTSC via the AV sockets.

Just connect it up and see what happens.

3. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You may get a picture, but if your tv does not support NTSC it may be black and white. Your dvd player should convert to pal, if it is not check the manual. There is the possibility that it may not support the converted ntsc if the tv does not support pal-60 though.

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the player and/or the TV.

Some TVs can accept a pure NTSC signal, no bother there.

Some Tvs can accept 60hz PAL, if you pump pure NTSC in to them you get a very good black and white picture. Then you either need a DVD player that outputs to PAL or the cheaper type of converter (about £70) that converts the colour information but not the scan rate.

Some TVs only accept 50hz PAL, if you pump in pure NTSC you get horizontal banding, you can't watch the film at all. Expensive (£300) converters will sort it, but hey if you are going to spend that why not get a new set.

Some DVD players play NTSC discs only as NTSC
    Some DVD players play NTSC discs only as NTSC or PAL60
    A few DVD players play NTSC discs as NTSC or PAL60 or PAL50

So.....

If you don't know what your set can handle, and if you do not know anyone who will bring their player around to try out on your set. To be safe opt for a DVD that clearly states it will output to PAL50, if it says PAL that ain't enough, make sure the 50 is there.

Oh and don't forget to get it chipped or get the salesman to give you the multi region code.

5. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    An interesting thing happened with me - and you too could try this.

My current temporary TV is a Furgurson 26" TV which is about 25 years old - don't laugh !!!!!! (colours seem more vibrant than my mums new Hitachi widescreen TV !!!!) and yes it does have a scart connector on the back.

When I am viewing region 1 DVD's I switch my Pioneer 444 on to RGB and when on region 2 I put S-video.

The reason why I don't leave it on RGB all the time is the TV sounds cuts in over the scrolling picture (weird things happen, basically).

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I tried a borrowed NTSC dvd and it works fine either through s-video scart or DIN (this tv doesn't have rgb inputs).

Thank-you all for the enlightening replies.