NTSC DVD Recorder??????????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jazzypap, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Jazzypap

Jazzypap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:

I live in the UK and have a NTSC mini DV recorder and I'm looking to record the NTSC videos I've recorded of my little boy's birthday party onto a DVD disc via a DVD recorder.

If I connect the mini DV camera to the DVD recorder via i-link and record the videos directly onto a DVD disc, will these play on multi-region DVD player?

As I understand it and I could be very much mistaken, just because my multi-region DVD player will play Region 1 DVD's, this doesn't necessarily mean that the multi region DVD player will play an NTSC DVD disc????

Forgive my being a complete novice - all I want to achieve is to record my NTSC videos onto a DVD disc!

Thanks for looking and I hope someone can help!

Paul

2. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    it should say in the dvd recorder's manual if it will record ntsc sources or not. if it can, then i would presume it can record ntsc through all its inputs including the i-link.

as for playback on a normal dvd player, it doesn't matter about region coding as this does not apply to consumer dvd recorders when making home recordings (all recorded discs will be region 0/region free). the only important thing is whether the dvd player will playback ntsc sources, and i've yet to see a UK model dvd player that can't do this. it will either convert the ntsc disc to output pal or it will simply output the ntsc signal natively (in which case your tv will need to be ntsc compatible, 99% of modern tvs are).

3. AthensDion

AthensDion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What drand model is your DVD recorder?

4. Jazzypap

Jazzypap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm not sure which DVD recorder to purchase as there appears to be a plethora of them on the market and I'm becoming increasiningly confused!

I do know I'll be looking for model with the i-link connection and is NTSC recordable/playable.....

ps thanks to shortround for this information, which I've found really useful.

Paul

5. AthensDion

AthensDion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pioneer DVR 530H or the 433H will do the job. Good luck.

6. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Also the Pioneer DVR-510Hs (Should find one cheap - try getting a region 3 one)

Mines has both PAL and NTSC i-link input. :thumbsup:

When recording NTSC the disc will be made in NTSC.

If your display doesn't support NTSC, when playing your disc it will convert the output signal to PAL. :smashin:

What's important when you are purchasing a PAL based recorder is that it will accept i-link NTSC. Don't ask if it will play NTSC or even record as the analogue connections can usually do this. You need to be specific about your DV connection. :lesson:

Hope thats of some use. :)

7. Jazzypap

Jazzypap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for this but am I wrong in assuming that if the DVD recorder is capable of recording an NTSC source e.g. mini dv video, it will record the source as NTSC wherever the input source, be this through the i-link connection or some other input source, as per shortround's comments above?

Cheers

8. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You need to make sure that it can do NTSC DV input.

When I was searching the PAL recorders at that time didn't.

Think about getting one from the US which will be native NTSC,multi-voltage, do
    PAL and be multiregion as standard. You can even get ones with DVI and upscaling too 1080i, try searching for a Toshiba RD-X5.

9. Jazzypap

Jazzypap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I tried a search for this model but only reveals lots of Japanese sites and nothing on a UK search!

Can anyone suggest alternative models to the Toshiba RD-X5?

I would have thought that a DVD recorder that records both PAL and NTSC formats would be fine e.g. Pioneer DVR433H or Pioneer DVR530H, am I mistaken?

Paul

10. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  11. Jazzypap

Jazzypap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After much thought and research, I decided to go with the Pioneer DVR433HS. I contacted Pioneer Tech. people who confirmed that this unit will record an NTSC source input at the IE1394 port - all I have to do is change one of the settings to 525 lines (NTSC).

Thanks to all for help and advice you've given.

Paul

12. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nice player & good price-good call! :)