1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC DVD on Panasonic PL1.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Runerg, Mar 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.
    Have anyone tried to play NTSC DVD's on this tv using the RGB signal? I have just bought one, and the picture is great but it has a lot of lines running up or down the screen diagonally. If I use a Region2 DVD everything is fine.
    I Use a Pioneer 454 DVD player and its compatible with Region1 but maybe its the player that is the problem.
    I have tried the player on another tv, and it worked fine there. Maybe I have to try another DVD player.
    The thing that I find really strange is that it does not happen when in Svideo or video mode. Only RGB.
    Rune

2. BeadleMachine

BeadleMachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Runerg,

I think you and I are in the same boat !

I have a Panasonic PL 28X Widescreen and a Pioneer DV550 through RGB.

Whenever I watch a R1 DVD I get these weird flickering lines on the picture - especially when there is like a white background to a scene or heavy darkness.

Yet when I put in the same film but on R2 I have no problem. Tried the DV550 on my flatmates Sanyo TV and no problems, tried watching R1 DVD through my XBOX on my panasonic and No problems!!

:rolleyes:

The only good news is that this indicates it is not a general problem with our TV's as R1 through my XBOX and RGB works fine. I did read on another post elsewhere on these forums that there may be some incompatibility specifically with Pioneer DVD players and Panasonic TV's :rolleyes:

Bit worried this might be a general compatibility issue between the two units.

When using S-Video mode how does the picture quality compare with RGB ??? if it is very similar I might look at that as a solution to getting a different DVD player :( :)

Anyone else experienced this problem ???

Thanks,

BeadleMachine

3. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks to me that the picture is alright using Svideo. Actually I think I got a little better contrast using svid. The THX test pics I'm using, shows the black bar on the brightness test pic. better than with RGB. It sound strange but its true.
    Rune

4. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like the "moire" problem associated with almost all panny tvs using reg 1. I had 2 panny sets and i had to get rid of them because of this. Only affects reg 1 discs. Its just somthing you will have to live with. There is a way of disguising it in the service menu but this can make the picture softer.

hth
    shaun

5. Runerg

Runerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have solved the problem. I bought a Panasonic DVD-XV10 and it works like a dream. No lines or any other probs with the picture. The guys in the shop said it was a known problem of the compability between Panasonic tv and pioneer dvd players.
    thats it. Thanks for all the replys.
    Rune