NTSC discs & stripey image

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Supersonic72, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heya all..

Just wanted to bounce an idea around as regards upgrading an old bit of kit..

I've got an old Panny RV-31 DVD player, its ok, but I have a couple of discs that I play which are NTSC format, and the image I get is a stripey mess of colour. The settings allow me to change to NTSC, but i get a b & w image instead which isnt really a solution. The display is a Panny PW7, conntected via the SCART board with quality Thor cabling...

It makes a shocking sound when I play these discs, as the mechanism must be really struggling, so last night me and the missus thought a DVD recorder would be a good idea right now...

So, looking at a Panny E-65 DVD recorder, as theyre going cheap right now, but would this play said discs. It looks like i have a batter range of SCART outputs than the RV-31 which doesnt even have RGB output!!

Any ideas welcome!

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    The Panny SCART board is definitely fully multistandard and should be able to accept anything you throw at it.

You could try pushing the input button a couple of times on the Panasonic remote as this switches between S-Video and Composite/RGB.

Steve

3. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that...

Just downloaded the E-65 manual, and there is mention of whether the TV is multistandard, PAL or NTSC, so youre saying its multistandard? (page 17).

That'd make life easier!

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Hi

It's definitely multistandard. But it's also not the best way of connecting a modern DVD recorder to your panel.

You should probably think about getting a component input board for your panel at some point.

Steve