1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC compatible TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gillmob, Jul 30, 2002.

1. gillmob

gillmob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I want to buy a TV here in the UK for use in the Caribbean (that use American broadcasting), what specifications does the TV have to have? Is NTSC compatibility enough or is this for something else? Would really appreciate some help on this one - don't want to fork out a grand on a TV and find it doesn't work.

Excuse my ignorance.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To be honest, yo're better off buying a TV there or in the U.S. although it can be technically possible with some TVs warranty issues etc mean that you will be far better off getting one designed for the system. You'll also find that the cost will probably be lower too.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The European TV's that have NTSC compatibility are only designed to decode NTSC picture signals from external inputs. They cannot tune in off-air NTSC signals or decode the sound.

Also, many European TV's are not too happy with 60Hz input even though they support it. You may get lesser geometry and the lack of a tint control (trust me, with NTSC you will need it).

So I second rct's recommendation you should buy the TV there instead.

4. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    also take into account the power - you would need step down transformer to 110v (i think)