1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC Compatibility with HD LCDs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by multiply, Aug 22, 2005.

1. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :lease:

Sorry to be a pain, but I really have tried searching through all of the threads (and FAQs) for an answer to this question. I have also asked within a number of the threads about the LCD TVs I'm interested in, but have never received a straight reply.... or maybe I'm just a bit thick for not knowing... :rolleyes:

Anyway, my question is, are all HD/HD-ready LCD TVs NTSC compatible?
    Most of my DVD collection is Region 1 (US) format and I output from a true multiregion source and therefore get a 'pure' NTSC signal from it.
    Will this work on typical HD LCDs? Also, are there any (good) high-def multiregion DVD players on the market yet?

Many, many thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer this. Sorry again if this has been asked/answered before.

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

I think that the vast majority of screens will be fine with NTSC. In fact, the only time I can recall any mention of a problem was someone with an Acer screen I think. I would assume that NTSC is not a problem, but just double check with the manufacturers specs when you're down to your final shortlist (or ask on here). I'd be very surprised if you found NTSC playback to be a stumbling block.

As for high-def DVD players, there aren't any on the market at the minute, and won't be for several months at least. If you mean upscaling DVD players, there are quite a few good ones - Panasonic s97, Samsung 950, Denon 2910, 3910 etc. Depends on your budget really, I got my s97 for £120 but the top Denons cost a whole lot more!

3. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks, Matt.
    I was a little confused because none of the specs for the HD LCDs specify NTSC compaibility, so I didn't know whether to assume they all WERE or WEREN'T!

Also, thanks for the info on the upscaling DVD players - those are what I meant. I assume they are multi-region (or multiregion-able)?

4. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

Yeah, pretty safe to assume they all are ok with NTSC I'd say. As for DVD players, they're almost all multiregion-able too.

I can personally recommend the Panasonic s97 (if you can find one- they're pretty scarce). It's really excellent, especially if you update the firmware to the later versions. 720p looks looooooovely on my Hitachi 32ld7200. I don't know your budget, but you could do a lot worse than this pair.

5. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmmm.....
    :smashin:

EDIT: Just did a detailed search - doesn't look like the S97 is still available anywhere. :(