Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NTSC Compatibility with HD LCDs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by multiply, Aug 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :lease:

Sorry to be a pain, but I really have tried searching through all of the threads (and FAQs) for an answer to this question. I have also asked within a number of the threads about the LCD TVs I'm interested in, but have never received a straight reply.... or maybe I'm just a bit thick for not knowing... :rolleyes:

Anyway, my question is, are all HD/HD-ready LCD TVs NTSC compatible?
    Most of my DVD collection is Region 1 (US) format and I output from a true multiregion source and therefore get a 'pure' NTSC signal from it.
    Will this work on typical HD LCDs? Also, are there any (good) high-def multiregion DVD players on the market yet?

Many, many thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer this. Sorry again if this has been asked/answered before.

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

I think that the vast majority of screens will be fine with NTSC. In fact, the only time I can recall any mention of a problem was someone with an Acer screen I think. I would assume that NTSC is not a problem, but just double check with the manufacturers specs when you're down to your final shortlist (or ask on here). I'd be very surprised if you found NTSC playback to be a stumbling block.

As for high-def DVD players, there aren't any on the market at the minute, and won't be for several months at least. If you mean upscaling DVD players, there are quite a few good ones - Panasonic s97, Samsung 950, Denon 2910, 3910 etc. Depends on your budget really, I got my s97 for £120 but the top Denons cost a whole lot more!

3. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks, Matt.
    I was a little confused because none of the specs for the HD LCDs specify NTSC compaibility, so I didn't know whether to assume they all WERE or WEREN'T!

Also, thanks for the info on the upscaling DVD players - those are what I meant. I assume they are multi-region (or multiregion-able)?

4. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

Yeah, pretty safe to assume they all are ok with NTSC I'd say. As for DVD players, they're almost all multiregion-able too.

I can personally recommend the Panasonic s97 (if you can find one- they're pretty scarce). It's really excellent, especially if you update the firmware to the later versions. 720p looks looooooovely on my Hitachi 32ld7200. I don't know your budget, but you could do a lot worse than this pair.

5. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmmm.....
    :smashin:

EDIT: Just did a detailed search - doesn't look like the S97 is still available anywhere. :(