1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC color problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jerin, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Jerin

Jerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

I am having a television of about 7 years old but it is having all the good functions and i can play vcd nicely but when it comes to DVD when i will it there is only 3 or 4 colors in tv and the rest colors are not there the dvd format is ntsc.I dont know why it comes like this please help me yaa. :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Have a look at the controls of the TV. NTSC has a "hue" control which isn't there on PAL, and if it's set incorrectly, you will get some weird colours.

3. Jerin

Jerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how can we set that ?i dont know it yaa please say ?there was one option that is auto or something 358 nstc is it that you said?pls help sir.I am not able to watch any dvd after buying a dvd player very sad???

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Nick_UK's comment would apply if the various picture settings on the TV operate via on-screen menu. If your TV has menus for colour, brightness etc, then, if you play an NTSC disc, if you look in the menu, you may find the "hue" control.

An other thing you might try:

On your DVD player - look for either a menu option, or a switch on the back which offers this choice:

PAL - NTSC - Auto

and set it to PAL.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Jerin,

Please be aware that this Forum is UK based and so, although we will all try to help you, we may be struggling a bit!

I think the clue to your problem is your mention of 358.

Without getting too technical, 3.58MHz is the subcarrier used by the American NTSC system to carry the colour information.

If you have a genuine American DVD and TV then this should be no problem.

However, if you have a PAL Tv, it will expect to see the colour on a 4.43MHz subcarrier.

Some PAL DVD Players produce a hybrid output for NTSC discs, with the colour on 4.43 to keep the PAL Tv happy.

I suspect that this is where your problem lies.

If you can provide further details of your equipment and connections, hopefully someone can advise you better.

6. Jerin

Jerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those technicians said that you can play dvds only on tvs with 4mhz and above.is it right?or is there any way to upgrade the nstc version??