1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC Cartoons & Jaggies

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JayBee, Jun 10, 2004.

1. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the cross post, but I wasn't sure where the best palce for this is.

I've got a DVD player that converts NTSC to PAL50. When I play a region 1 cartoon, the outlines off the characters show jaggies, although once in a while the black lines suddenly go smooth for a second. Now I'm not sure whether this is down to refresh, resolution or signal type so I don't know how to solve the problem.

I assume that using a TV that supports NTSC would solve the problem, but I don't have one :( So I was wondering if it would help if I got a DVD player that converted NTSC to PAL60 (which my TV does support).

Thanks for the help

Jay

2. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No thoughts?

3. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi there,

Not sure if you ever got a reply, but the reason you see jaggies is because you are essentially viewing an interlaced image! If you are able to output a progressive picture from your DVD the jaggies would disappear!
    There is a link to it somewhere in this forum - search for an explaination about progressive signals.
    This is not just reserved to your DVDs, if you watch any American cartoons on TV you will notice the same problem!
    Hope this helps,

SW

4. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So a player than translates to Pal60 instead of Pal50, in interlaced mode, won't help then :( I have read the stuff about progressive, but it can all get a bit confusing :) Am I right in saying that an American cartoon will look jagged even on an NTSC T.V.?

Oh well. Thanks for the reply anyway.